• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sig 716 feeding problems

Ed1981

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
74   0
Reaction score
So.............
I jumped on a great deal last weekend and picked up a Sig 716 Patrol. Took it to the range a few days ago and found out quickly that it wants to be a bolt gun :mad:. I could not for the life of me get it to fire 2 shots without it jamming the spent round and a new round together. I did some research online and found out that Sig has had quite a few problems in the past with this issue. I also could not find anywhere online where Sig has fixed this problem!! Everyone that has sent their rifles back, reported that all Sig did was polish the feed ramp and send it back saying that it has a break in period. I purchased this used, but it looks to only have 20-40 rounds through it before I got it. Looks to me that the feed ramps are too low?? and preventing the round from feeding properly???

I bought this without doing any research on this rifle, and only because of the Sig name. I would gladly pay a good gunsmith to fix this properly. Im not convinced that Sig will fix the problem if I send it to them after doing research about this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? Can anybody give me advise on how to fix this. Thanks IMG_8181 (800x533).jpgIMG_8180 (800x533).jpg

It has a 4 position gas block

Off
Suppressed
Norm And adverse

I think it's just under gased

Check to see if set to suppressed you can gen pdf of manual on sig's site

You may need to pull the piston an clean

My sig runs great also work great with a can

Last edited:
If it won't run on the "adverse" piston setting, send it back. Sig has a pretty good warranty if I recall correctly.

It has a 4 position gas block

Off
Suppressed
Norm And adverse

Check to see if set ton off or suppressed you can gen pdf of manual on sig's
site
It is set to normal. It seems that the tip of the round is getting caught on the edge when chambered. The round held the BCG back several time at the range.

Write up and pictures don't match...
Per the picture, did you try a different magazine, and a different brand of ammo?

Per the statement
Not familiar with the 716, but if it isn't extracting before the bolt comes forwards, and strips a new round into it, is it possibly:
1. a extractor/ejector issue.
2. an oily/dirty chamber
3. a bad run of ammo
4. incompatible or bad magazine

Did the previous owner possibly make any "modifications" or "improvements" causing a change in the recoil dynamics?

Last edited:
Write up and pictures don't match...
Per the picture, did you try a different magazine, and a different brand of ammo?

Per the statement
Not familiar with the 716, but if it isn't extracting before the bolt comes forwards, and strips a new round into it, is it possibly:
1. a extractor/ejector issue.
2. an oily/dirty chamber
3. a bad run of ammo
4. incompatible or bad magazine

I am going back to the range today. This is what I will do in order to eliminate questions.

1- Use 3 different mags
2- Use 3 different types of ammo ( all different manufactures )
3- Break down the rifle before I go and clean all components. I use CLP on all my guns.

The picture in the OP is what happened when I loaded one round in the mag and then slowly pulled the charging handle back to chamber it. The tip of the round caught the edge and stopped the BCG, resting on the back of the casing.
I will report what happens when I get back. Thanks for all the input from members!!

Back
Top Bottom