Sighting my bow in...or Missed it by THAT MUCH!

I have the 5 pin tru-glo sight , it is on upside down and my bubble for the level is on top , I had the same problems as you and i would be looking at my level and alot of times it would cause me to shoot low. The 5th pin i don't even use , it so far away it is like a big rainbow , The 4th pin , i hit an area the size of a small paper plate like 8in , the 5th one is around 60-65 i hit with it but it varies. When i would shoot 10 20 30 40 it always seemed like i could get more out of it , so i just added 5 to all of them trying to get out to 60

it is always best to have a couple arrows cut and knocked for you and your bow , get you 6 and practice w 2-3 and save the others for hunting

ya know...people are ALWAYS telling me I need professional help..OH with my BOW...Never mind... ;)

My bow maxes out at 70 lb but it's backed down about 2 turns(I'm guessing 65# or along there). I hope to "grow into" 70 but not having launched an arrow in YEARS, I'm a tad out of practice. I think I am going to go with tlw1179's 15/30/45 ranges. I like the even division and closer steps than 20 yard intervals. Once I can handle the full 70# easier I may move up to 20/40/60.

You don't need 70lbs and never will... there is no advantage to pulling that weight other than saying you pull 70lbs... Most bows now shoot 300 plus at 60-65 lbs and that is extremely fast... Stay with what your comfortable pulling.. You want to have the bow under complete control when that massive buck walks out in front of you... I take it you've tried to steady a gun when a good deer walks out now try and imagine that when its with your bow...

You don't need 70lbs and never will... there is no advantage to pulling that weight other than saying you pull 70lbs... Most bows now shoot 300 plus at 60-65 lbs and that is extremely fast... Stay with what your comfortable pulling.. You want to have the bow under complete control when that massive buck walks out in front of you... I take it you've tried to steady a gun when a good deer walks out now try and imagine that when its with your bow...

Yeah, I ended up at 65#. When the let off drops I could probably hold it for quite a while except for not being completely used to the weight on my extended arm. Hopefully I will get used to using that lazy muscle set more and more.

Tonyf6188
The very best thing you can do to a bow is paper tune it.
I spend alot of time tuning mine before I ever shoot the first arrow at a target.

Just as an experiment. Shoot one of your arrows with a field point on it through paper
and see what the hole looks like. That will tell you all you need to know. After that, it is easy.

I always stick with the same brand and model of arrow. Too many differences in manufacturers
to produce consistent results.

I took it to Southern Shooters and Mike helped me get right. He tuned it(puts purty neat holes in the paper now), set me up with a dozen arrows, which he cut to length for me, showed me how to set and release properly and a few other things. I got her all sighted in today and am feeling very confident about hitting the woods. I ended up going with 20/40/50. The drop between 40 and 50 is about the same as the drop between 20 and 40 sop I decided to call 50 my "Outer Limit". I think for a while I will stay within 40 any way.

Back
Top Bottom