Sks-M

my sks-m always had a hard time seating mags. they all fit but the time and effort it took to seat it just right was so annoying that I sold it and got an ak.

Metal mags are a little wobbly and crapco mags are hit and miss the only mag i dont have a problem is a 5 round Korean steel mag

my sks-m always had a hard time seating mags. they all fit but the time and effort it took to seat it just right was so annoying that I sold it and got an ak.
Yeah, I had an M for a short time in 06. (Sold it way too cheap too.) But the one that I had had a small rectangular metal plate in the mag well area that was screwed to the stok as I recall. And that was what you had to hook the front of the mag to before rocking it in. It usually took more than one try. The AK mag fed SKS was a damn good idea no doubt. I just think Norinco rushed it in the design and adaptation of the AK mags. When I had mine I found 2 20 round tanker mags at a store in Macon. For some reason they worked a lot better. They also looked better in the rifle than the longer 30s did. You will probably catch hell finding those mags now. I hate to say it but maybe try a Tapco 20 or other brand polymer mag. One reason I say this is that in my WASR the old style metal mags sometimes don't catch on the front of the mag well. And they are loose fitting when in the mag well. They still work fine but they rattle. The Tapco mag that came with the rifle rocks in on the first try and doesn't rattle at all.

Yeah, I had an M for a short time in 06. (Sold it way too cheap too.) But the one that I had had a small rectangular metal plate in the mag well area that was screwed to the stok as I recall. And that was what you had to hook the front of the mag to before rocking it in. It usually took more than one try. The AK mag fed SKS was a damn good idea no doubt. I just think Norinco rushed it in the design and adaptation of the AK mags. When I had mine I found 2 20 round tanker mags at a store in Macon. For some reason they worked a lot better. They also looked better in the rifle than the longer 30s did. You will probably catch hell finding those mags now. I hate to say it but maybe try a Tapco 20 or other brand polymer mag. One reason I say this is that in my WASR the old style metal mags sometimes don't catch on the front of the mag well. And they are loose fitting when in the mag well. They still work fine but they rattle. The Tapco mag that came with the rifle rocks in on the first try and doesn't rattle at all.
Ya ive been looking for the 20 rounders with no luck I may just get a couple more of the 5 rounders and be done with it. Thanks for all your input

Ya ive been looking for the 20 rounders with no luck I may just get a couple more of the 5 rounders and be done with it. Thanks for all your input
Well don't give up on the 20s. They aint impossible to find. Check ebay and Gunbroker. Also, there is an online source called National Magazine that sells mags for everything. But you have to wade through a lot of BS search results to get the right site. It's worth it though since you get a good mag with 20 round capacity that looks good,like it's supposed to go with the rifle. Don't get me wrong, I would keep a good supply of 30 round mags too. But they just look kinda goofy sticking out of an SKS. And the Tapco 20s are under $20.00 most places. I hate Tapco **** cause it looks awful (to me) but it seems to work well. I just now compared mags and the front lip on the Tapco IS a tiny bit larger and more pronounced.

Well don't give up on the 20s. They aint impossible to find. Check ebay and Gunbroker. Also, there is an online source called National Magazine that sells mags for everything. But you have to wade through a lot of BS search results to get the right site. It's worth it though since you get a good mag with 20 round capacity that looks good,like it's supposed to go with the rifle. Don't get me wrong, I would keep a good supply of 30 round mags too. But they just look kinda goofy sticking out of an SKS. And the Tapco 20s are under $20.00 most places. I hate Tapco **** cause it looks awful (to me) but it seems to work well. I just now compared mags and the front lip on the Tapco IS a tiny bit larger and more pronounced.
Found 2 Korean 20 steel mags on gunbroker thanks might have skiped that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom