• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SKS Problem falure to eject

robert_smi2

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
9   0
Reaction score
Ok I did the unthinkable and shortened my barrel on my Yugo SKS to lower the weight. Before I shortened it I was firing so so with bulk ammo and fired pretty well with Tula ammo. But I completely cleaned the SKS free of all and I mean all carbon and the inside looked great. I shortened the barrel to just behind the grenade launcher, crowned it and polished it almost to a mirror finish. And when I took it out today it will fire, but it is not ejecting the round. I know these sounds crazy but could I have over cleaned the rifle and now gas is leaking out of gaps that were filled with carbon or is it a back pressure issue from shorting the barrel. I have heard that applying RTSV gasket around the gas valve will help but I do not like rigged fixes, I want to do it right.

Last edited:
Update, I found my RTV sealant and some soft stranded wire from a piece of cable. the wire is the shieling wire part of a cable that had 5 or so strands in it. First thing I did was took the front gas piston assy. off and wiped it all down, then i put a small amount of RTV around the lip of the cylinder and wrapped a few strands of wire around it, then applied a little more RTV and a few more strands of wire and then a little more RTV. I was hoping to make a steel belted type of gasket that will last longer than just 100 shots or so. Then i put a little RTV sealant on the outside wall on the cylinder and then I reinstalled it into the "housing" sorry can’t think of the word. I then put a very small amount of RTV on groove of the lip of the gas tube that mates up to the cylinder, I let everything sit for 10 minutes or so as the direction stated. When I reinstalled the gas tube it was tight to get back on but it was very snug on there. I took the SKS outside this morning before going to work and I put three round into it and it fired flawlessly. I thinking combining the two ideas of using wire and rtv will be a better result because using straight RTV will "blow out" and wire will leak, and the two together will bake a steel belted gasket that will last longer. I am going to get the parts to fix it correctly but this seems to be a good fix for now. I may just wait to order to see how long this will last.

typically when you shorten a barrel you need enlarged gas ports so the rifle gets the same cycling pressure. how much did you shorten it? typically you have to shorten a barrel 4" or so before you get an issue.

you may have changed the "dwell" by shortening it meaning it looses the pressure prematurely or more abruptly since the distance between the muzzle and gas block have changed........Im betting your going to have to drill the hole in the barrel larger.

since you are already in this problem and at a loss for a solution as you are I suggest you take it to a gunsmith.

Last edited:
Truthfully I only shortened the "Barrel" about an inch, but the barrel screwed into the grenade launcher sight post and then into the grenade launcher/flash adapter and all that was about 5 inches or so. I cut it directly behind and even with the grenade launcher sight post. I read post and watched videos and other were cutting them down to exactly 16 inches barrels and they were not reporting any problems but this barrel is exactly 17 inches now. But after applying the wire and gasket RTV it worked great. I wonder if getting a new gas cylinder and gas tube would make a permanent fix.

Last edited:
I typically dont mess with gas operated semi autos, but I had an old yugo sks. I that I had to open up the gas port on to get it functioning properly. I didnt shorten the barrel... the damn thing just didnt work from the start.

I went very slow... fired... more material... fired... more material... fired... etc.

This is a common problem with the Yugo SKS. The original gas valve will rust and loose its ability to seal. Basically a gas leak. You can get a new stainless gas valve from CNC Warrior and never have this problem again.

Back
Top Bottom