So are large ammo purchases being tracked now?

No they are not reported to anyone. If law enforcement believes that criminals are procuring ammunition from a particular source they may ask the supplier to let them know. I ran into this when running a gun shop in NJ.
I doubt very few lgs sell enough ammo to be considered a large ammo purchase.

ammo manufacturers are a business that keeps books and keeps everything official so it wouldn't be surprising if they could tell you where they shipped a large shipment of ammo from up to 3 years ago or more

Why would they? The manufacturer will typically sells to a jobber not to consumers. So big deal, they could report (for no reason) that they sold 100,000 rounds of xyz to Graf and sons, or Acusport. They aren't the end users.

I doubt very few lgs sell enough ammo to be considered a large ammo purchase.

In NJ we had gangs buying 10,000 rounds at a time. While not a huge amount, it was enough to get the attention of law enforcement, and since we were prcatically the only LGS that stocked that quantity of ammo, they came to us for help.

In NJ we had gangs buying 10,000 rounds at a time. While not a huge amount, it was enough to get the attention of law enforcement, and since we were prcatically the only LGS that stocked that quantity of ammo, they came to us for help.
You were selling large quantities of ammo go gangs?

You were selling large quantities of ammo go gangs?

We were selling large quanities of ammo period. We had a huge customer base. The police were able to trace it back to us because of price stickers on the ammo. The gangs were saavy. They wouldn't have some dude in "gang wear" come in and buy ammo. Turns out they would actually dress up to come in to make purchases, in the hopes that it wouldn't raise suspicion. Once we had some faces and names to put to it, we were able to help out. They paid old ladies to get NJFID cards and make ammo and gun purchases for them as well. Those types of straw sales can be very difficult to detect.

^ I have never been happier to leave a state than when I left NJ. I moved to a couple countries in Europe and then back to the midwest before moving here. I enjoy it here quite a lot.

The whole premise behind the Dems "going after" large ammo purchases is ridiculous.

They used the Aurora shooting as the catalyst. So what he bought a few thousand rounds.... what did that have to do w/ anything?

How many rounds did he actually FIRE? A couple hundred at most?

If anything, people like myself, people I train with, competitive shooters, shooting clubs, etc. are the least likely candidates to be a "lone, social outcast" matching the typical description of the "active shooter".
It doesn't take 5k or 10k rounds to commit such terrible crimes. That's a weak ineffectual indicator of intent to commit a crime in my opinion.

Say they pass legislation to prevent "big" purchases.... how will that stop a guy from buying enough rounds to "match" all of the previous shootings "round count"?

To me it was a very lame, transparent attempt at attacking gunowners through the backdoor.

Back
Top Bottom