So I just purchased a 100 Lbs. of rice...

Mikey394

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
93   0
Reaction score
Got to know one of the guys at the local Chinese place. He ordered me an extra 100 Lbs. of white rice at no extra cost. It wasn't but $30.00 so the wife didn't kill me.

Now to deal with storage? I have several food grade 5-gal. buckets already. I'm thinking sealing it in several smaller bags of mylar with O2 absorbers. Then several in each bucket with a Gamma lid.

I wonder how long 100 Lbs. will last two adults any way. Have I forgotten anything guys??

Thanks, Mikey394

I've seen rice stored in 5gal buckets using dry ice to get rid of the O2. You need to make a platform with holes in it (I've seen wire mesh used) larger than the size of the inside of your bucket to keep the dry ice from touching the rice. As the dry ice melts the gas falls into the bucket removing the O2. This with the silica gel tabs will keep the rice for long periods of time.

I found it very funny that it was hard to find frozen water, but dry ice was was everywhere.

Nope, looks like you are pretty much squared away. Dig the avatar by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome price. I need to look harder. I'd definitely break it down into small parcels for storing to keep from having to unseal too much at once. I've been using a seal-a-meal vaccuum sealer for it and making 2 pound packages then putting them in a 5 gallon bucket. Only problem with that is that sealing them makes little bricks that do not fit efficiently inside the bucket. But then taking them back out will be easier than if I had put the small bags in then removed the O2. They would then be rock hard and shaped around each other and might have to be cut out of the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom