So who processes their own deer?

rimfireguy

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
83   0
Reaction score
I for one enjoy processing my own deer and look forward to making some sausage in the near future. I'm even thinking about building a Smokehouse this year so I can start cold smoking my meats. How about the rest of you guys and gals?
20160915_181056.jpg

Wow that's pretty impressive right there. Most of the time I take my dear to a processor. I have processed a dear before and thats some serious work. Processing your own definitely makes for a more complete and rewarding experience. Kudos to you

I do sometimes, depends on what my schedule looks like. Sometimes I wind up dropping em off at a processor. I do my own hogs, because none of the processors around here will touch em. Not that there's many opportunities for swine around here anyway. I highly recommend Old Plantation sausage seasoning. ...what seasoning do y'all prefer?

Wow that's pretty impressive right there. Most of the time I take my dear to a processor. I have processed a dear before and thats some serious work. Processing your own definitely makes for a more complete and rewarding experience. Kudos to you
It can be a lot of work but like you said very rewarding. I also like to get the kids involved so they can appreciate where there food comes from.

I do sometimes, depends on what my schedule looks like. Sometimes I wind up dropping em off at a processor. I do my own hogs, because none of the processors around here will touch em. Not that there's many opportunities for swine around here anyway. I highly recommend Old Plantation sausage seasoning. ...what seasoning do y'all prefer?
I have never used any ready made seasonings as i try to stay away from artificial nitrates . i will usually make a big batch of Cajun flavored and a batch of maple flavored
and use celery powder as a curing agent

I always process my own deer. Used to grind most of it up, till I got a smoker. Now I just quarter it and toss it on the smoker for 6 to 8 hours.

Easier, faster, and the best tasting venison available.

I am not even sure where my meat grinder is right now.

I've processed a lot of mine over the years, but I have been using a processor for the past couple years. He is very good and inexpensive, so it is easier. LOL

Back
Top Bottom