Some words to say to a friend

I can relate. I lost my best friend to prostate cancer years ago. My work schedule didn't allow me to visit him as frequent as I would have liked, but when I did, we reminisced and laughed about the good times that we had shared over the years. In the end he had made peace with his maker. Our last words that we spoke to one another were " I love you brother".

Like CaptDave posted, the worse thing you can do is say nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

I can relate. I lost my best friend to prostate cancer years ago. My work schedule didn't allow me to visit him as frequent as I would have liked, but when I did, we reminisced and laughed about the good times that we had shared over the years. In the end he had made peace with his maker. Our last words that we spoke to one another were " I love you brother".

Like CaptDave posted, the worse thing you can do is say nothing.

Here is a website of some close friend's of mine. He has had stage 4 Pancreatic cancer for 4 years and is doing considerably great. Maybe they have some information that will be helpful. They put this website together initially to warn people away from a scammer who is taking advantage of cancer patients.

http://burzynskiscam.com/

Last edited:
Tough road and I feel for your friend....

Lot of good advice above, the only thing I can add is to be yourself. He chose you for a friend because of how you are. Be that same person (maybe a little less ass grabbing), but be yourself. Listen closely to what he says.

After thinking about the suggestion of the video above, that would be a cherished keepsake for his children and I think it would be your most gut wrenching, painful and satisfying thing you could do for him. My girls are much older now, but if they were that young I would like to say a few words to them when they could understand.... The thought of it is making the screen a little blurry but you get the idea...

Heart breaking
He is lucky to have someone who will cry with him and for him. I encourage you to continue to be in that simple spot for him. There is NOTHING more important.

This is so true, I had a friend do that for me and it helped pull through a really bad time. As far as the cancer, my dad had an operation on his stomach in '64 and the doctors found out he was ate up with cancer. They just closed him back up and sent him home, told him at most he had 6 months left. He finally died from a brain aneurism in the mid '80s. Sometime the doctors don't know it all.

Have him read a book by LTC Mark Weber called "Tell My Sons".

LTC is truly an inspiration and will help both him and you cope with this situation.

What a long day. I want to thank each and every one of you. It may not seem much but your words are meaningful to me and help gather comfort at this time. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom