• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Something happened this morning...

Here are some specifics of this buck.
Private property in Carroll county. First live visual of the buck was at 8:10 am and he was down at 8:13 am.
I've done plenty of homework, scouting, and planning on this property. I hung my stand for this hunt 3 days prior. He came out of a thicket where I knew traffic would take place and was walking at an angle away from me. I tried a small estrus bleat and he turned to look but continued on his path. I cranked my scope up to 9 and started looking for a shot opportunity. He was moving farther away when at about 85 yards I gave him a challenge grunt/roar from my trusty Primos Buck Roar set on Mature Buck (this tool, for me, has been devastating for deer over the past two seasons). When he heard the roar he turned and ran directly at me at almost full speed. He slammed on the breaks at about 40-45 yards to look ahead and I was cranking my scope back down from 9 when he started running at me again. I pulled up my rifle, got him in the scope, flipped off the safety, and was tracking him. When he passed a final tree I gave a loud "brap" to stop him and he was stopped quickly and faced me looking directly at me. I picked a hair on the center of his neck and gave a smooth squeeze. When he dropped in his tracks I then hollered out, "whoo!" like Rick Flair. I put this buck at the top of my hit list for this particular property this year and hard work paid off.
Used a Marlin 30-06 my daddy gave me a couple years ago. Shot him at about 22 yards in the front of his neck. No exit from the round. 180 grain Winchester XP. This has been an amazing round for me and I don't see me going away from it. Fortunate enough to have one of my best friends hunting with me that day and he helped me drag him out.
Here are some more pics of this buck. I named him Regal back in Sept when I started getting trail cam pics and started making a hunting plan to get him.

Here he is the second time I caught him on camera (on the right).

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_11_19_eduvu9av.jpg

This is a picture from my iPhone taken right after I shot him. You can get an idea of the distance.

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_11_19_se8yta8u.jpg

One of the cool things about this deer is that I think he is the brother from another mother of a buck I killed out of the exact same tree last year. His final standing spot was 10 yards away from where the final standing spot of the buck I killed last year stood as well. Both have very similar characteristics. Here is the buck from last year.

img.tapatalk.com_d_12_11_19_be5a8uva.jpg

Thanks for all the congratulations. I'm very excited and can't wait to hang him on the wall and feed my family.

...now on to another big buck I'm chasing.

Back
Top Bottom