• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Something to Hide?

Constitution Hour

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
❤️ TACOS
96   0
Reaction score
So I picked up a new to me Amigo compact 1911 the other day.
newby.jpgnewby2.jpg

During the deal I noticed it was way over lubricated. :confused2:

Could not imagine why anyone would put that much lube/oil on a 1911.
Today I decided to strip it down and clean her up real nice.
That is when the trouble started. These 3" guns use a reverse plug for the recoil spring and this one was stuck real bad.
When I finally got it out she had a huge gouge and looked like someone used a hammer and chisel to remove it.
bushing.jpg

Closer inspection revealed the problem. Someone had installed the bushing wrong (clocked wrong) causing it to be slammed into the end of the slide cuts (sharp edge).
I suspect the previous owner was unable to remove the bushing,knew the gun had feed issues,probably not returning to battery, so he lubed the piss out of it and got rid of it.
Also found the barrel link is way too tight so I had to tune it a bit also.
slide.jpgthe wrong way.jpg

She is now working perfectly, I am going to order a new reverse plug $20.00 and may have my Gun SMith hand file the inner slide and reblue the whole thing. Just pisses me off to find crap like this. The gun is not worth alot even in perfect condition. Someone knew it was messed up before it was sold. I guess I should have stripped it down for closer inspection before I bought it but this is the first time I have had an issue from an ODT deal. Live and learn.

At least it wasn't a big issue. I love the way those pistols look, but the spiderweb kinda thing in the hammer irks me. I don't have a good reason why lol.

Sometimes you're the windshield...sometimes you're the bug. I just wish I could buy a clean gun...Usually when I get them, they are DIRTY and dry. But, hey, that's OK. Cleaning them is how you learn them, and find things like you just did. Those ARE great little guns, and a perfect "step away from my car" guns. I know you'll have it running like a sewing machine in no time.

At least it wasn't a big issue. I love the way those pistols look, but the spiderweb kinda thing in the hammer irks me. I don't have a good reason why lol.

LOL, yeah it kinda bugs mwe too. Yes they are great little pistols and for the record I do not think the seller was to blame for this. More me kicking myself for not catching it during the deal. Hell I would have bought it anyway,might have tried to dicker a bit. Just wanted to rant a wee bit.

Sometimes you're the windshield...sometimes you're the bug. I just wish I could buy a clean gun...Usually when I get them, they are DIRTY and dry. But, hey, that's OK. Cleaning them is how you learn them, and find things like you just did. Those ARE great little guns, and a perfect "step away from my car" guns. I know you'll have it running like a sewing machine in no time.
I am ashamed to admit, I have sold a dirty gun. :pout:

Back
Top Bottom