• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Son’s First Turkey! April/2023 turkey hunt

This week has been great for us.
My Son got his first turkey and I broke the ice for 2023.

My Son and I got to our spot just prior to first light. There was a decent amount of wind and it was fairly overcast with a slight chance of rain. Shortly after daybreak, I did a series of soft tree yelps, followed by a flydown cackle. A bird responded with a gobble just over the ridge from us.
We readied ourselves and kept the calls quiet for a few to let the bird simmer a bit.

A few minutes later, he gobbled on his own, which I feel is a good sign that he’s gonna come in. I tell my Son to get ready and watch the top of the ridge. He gobbled a few more times, each one being louder and obviously closer than the last.
A few minutes later, he crests the ridge, in full strut, drumming as he inched closer. When he was 50 yards away, he gobbled and I felt my Son flinch in surprise! He was soooo pumped!
It seemed like an eternity, but it was only 10 or 15 minutes until he strutted his way into range of my Son’s .410
Once the Tom got to within 40 yards, I gave him the green light to shoot and the Tom folded up after getting a lethal dose of #9.5 tss.
I’m so proud of my Son for keeping his cool and for being patient while the Tom worked his way in. He got to have a textbook first turkey that did everything that you’d want to see one do.
View attachment 5579471View attachment 5579472View attachment 5579473
Well done young man!

Back
Top Bottom