Spicing up the shtf menu

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's bland, generic tasting food! Aside from the people putting up pre-packaged food such as mountain house or wise( which is not a bad thing if you don't have the means to garden), I for one haven't given much thought to spicing up my stores of food until recently. So to go with all of those bags of rice and beans, and home canned goods I started doing some research.

For those of us who maintain a garden, herbs are VERY simple to grow! They're essentially a very flavorful weed that need very little attention on average. Sage, parsley, basil and oregano are the herbs we keep.

So, after harvesting, what to do with the excess.....it's very simple

Spread those herbs on a baking sheet and bake a 180 degrees until brittle but NOT browned. This serves, several different purposes. It kills pathogens and micro-organisms as well as drying the herbs for the next step. After this, all you have to do is get your mason/ball jars and lids out. Clean your jars and let them dry. Crush the herbs up, remove the stems and fill the jars. Boil your lids, once good and hot dry them off place on the jars and when cooled, they should be sealed for long term storage

I hope this helps y'all spice up your post apocalyptic menu!

Back
Top Bottom