• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sponge camo questions

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
Ok so I have a ton of sponge camo paint jobs on the net on plastic stocks.

Has anybody ever seen a wood stock that has been sponged camouflaged with stains? I am awaiting a stock I won off EBay for my 223. It's a standard contour for light weight and was just wondering. I have some scrap wood I though about testing it on but before I spend a lot of money on alcohol based stains I thought I would check here and see if anybody has attempted it before, and if so with what results.

My thought was with the different colors and the wood grain it might make for of a come effect, if it's even possible do where it looks worth a damn.

I finally found an OD green dye that I mix with water or alcohol so I plan on using it to refinish the stock and give me something to do while I am on night shift for my restless nights.

Go for it. I do know from the sponge camo I have done on synthetics that you're gonna need a base coat to work over. In order for it to get the proper effect it would probably have to be 2 light alternating colors with darker colors sponged over.
I know last time I was trying to pick out a color for a stock the paint guy at Ace hardware let me test a couple of colors on a piece of wood before I decided.
Not sure how far they would let you take the test drive though if you took in a board and wanted to try the process before you buy it. LOL.
I do have some small cans of Golden Oak and Ebony Minwax stains on the shelf if it's something you could use.

On the green note, I did try to stain a birch 10/22 stock one time. it came out terrible and I took a hose to it before it set up fully.

Last edited:
Skip I have some cut off portions of walnut from but stocks. The problem with most stains I have seen is they are paint based for color when you start looking at green. I am currently looking a dye you can buy from Hobby Lobby. Perks to the dye is since it will be water or alcohol based if the color is to dark I can lighten it by adding more water etc.

I was thinking a rough sand around 220 or higher to get it to hold into the wood with out running into another color. Now that has me thinking about just letting the various colors run down the stock for a tiger stripe effect lol. I guess I will see once I get everything together.

The sponge camo I have done with paint starts with a base coat, then tiger stripes, then alternating one color on top of the other with the sponge.
Might have to get creative to pull it off with stain.
I'd definitely try it on something sacrificial first. I'd just be worried the dye might get in deep and be a PITA if it didn't come out right.

Though no woodworking genius in my experience stains tend to bleed and it can be a challenge to get a clean line with them unlike paint. I did a faux ebony fore end onto a factory birch Savage stock and wound up using automotive pinstripe to add a faux white line spacer and cover the "bleed" at the transition.

I know you're very creative and will figure this one out. It's a very interesting concept and I'm very curious to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom