Springfield 1903-A3 repair advice

Achawks

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
-I'm looking to repair a couple of demilitarized Springfield 1903-A3's by acquiring new front and rear guard screws for their trigger guards. I have a set of screws from my own 1903-A3 that I can use for reference (Rear: 1 1/2", Front: 7/8").

-My question is; is it possible to go to a local hardware store, buy screws with the same dimensions as the ones mentioned above, and use those to place the trigger guard into the stock securely?

-I ask this because buying replacement screws at a hardware store would be a lot more easier and less expensive then buying the specific screws online.

-Some additional details:
1. The rifle will not be used for firing, only for military drill movements.
2. Link to page selling the exact trigger guard screws mentioned above:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SPRINGFI...CREWS-7-8-1-1-2-length-2-screws-/380818295357

-I'm looking to repair a couple of demilitarized Springfield 1903-A3's by acquiring new front and rear guard screws for their trigger guards. I have a set of screws from my own 1903-A3 that I can use for reference (Rear: 1 1/2", Front: 7/8").

-My question is; is it possible to go to a local hardware store, buy screws with the same dimensions as the ones mentioned above, and use those to place the trigger guard into the stock securely?

-I ask this because buying replacement screws at a hardware store would be a lot more easier and less expensive then buying the specific screws online.

-Some additional details:
1. The rifle will not be used for firing, only for military drill movements.
2. Link to page selling the exact trigger guard screws mentioned above:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-SPRINGFI...CREWS-7-8-1-1-2-length-2-screws-/380818295357

It will work ok if you can exactly match the length, diameter, and thread pattern. Thats not easy though. You'll probably want to cold blue them or use some other method of rust proofing. It may be easier to order them online to ensure correct fit....i like Numrich and Apex myself.

It will work ok if you can exactly match the length, diameter, and thread pattern. Thats not easy though. You'll probably want to cold blue them or use some other method of rust proofing. It may be easier to order them online to ensure correct fit....i like Numrich and Apex myself.

This and you would be surprised at how reasonable their pricing is.

Thanks for the advice, wanted to make sure about best method of going about the repairs. I'll definitely try Numrich and Apex if the hardware screws don't work out.

Back
Top Bottom