• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Springfield XDm Grip safety broke

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
Well, the brand spanking new Springfield XDm 9mm, 5.25" pistol that I bought my husband for Christmas already has a problem. While he was playing with it, getting ready to take it on it's maiden voyage to the range tomorrow, the grip safety failed. The grip safety retreated to flush with the grip. I suspect the spring that makes it pop back out is either broken or has become dislodged inside.

I am sure it's under warrantee. And I am sure Springfield will fix it. We looked up how to do it ourselves, but it looks like a real PITA. Plus, if we do it ourselves, will that void any Springfield warrantee?

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

It should not void your warrantee, I mean it is just taking down the gun down a little further... but you never know. I have never had a problem with either of my XDm's. I am sorry it put a dampener on the Christmas gift.

Yay! Problem solved. He had changed the backstrap. The grip safety worked fine a few times after, while he was playing with it, but then it failed. I asked him to go back down and take the backstrap off, to see if he accidentally knocked something loose. After a bit of debating, he humored me. While he was checking it, he tapped the pin just above the backstrap (the one that goes through the grip safety spring), and that fixed the problem. I suspect maybe he just knocked something a little loose when he was changing the backstrap.

Still an odd thing to happen though,.... But we're good to go on to the range tomorrow!

Yea, changing the back strap should not make it NOT go boom... I would put it aggressively through it's paces before I would bet my life on it...

Good luck.

Yea, changing the back strap should not make it NOT go boom... I would put it aggressively through it's paces before I would bet my life on it...

Good luck.

This^^^^^^

JoKeR50 JoKeR50 & bass222000 bass222000

Don't you love hearing "you were right!"? Sucks for me (and for my poor husband), but the Springfield did it again, 2 more times. Once when he was cleaning it after the first range day, and then again the next day when we went back to the range. I hate it, but we're going to have to send it in to Springfield. It's brand new too. I am so frustrated (and sad for my husband).

THATS THE WAY IT IS SOMETIME! IF YOU GIVE SPRINGFIELD A CALL THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOU. MAY EVEN SEND PICKUP LABEL WHERE YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY SEND IN. IVE HAD SEVERAL OF THEIR GUNS NEVER HAD PROBLEM. HAVE 3 NOW IVE HAD FOR SEVERAL YEAR. GOT XDM 9 WHEN FIRST COME OUT GREAT GUN!

JoKeR50 JoKeR50 & bass222000 bass222000

Don't you love hearing "you were right!"? Sucks for me (and for my poor husband), but the Springfield did it again, 2 more times. Once when he was cleaning it after the first range day, and then again the next day when we went back to the range. I hate it, but we're going to have to send it in to Springfield. It's brand new too. I am so frustrated (and sad for my husband).

No, I am married, I am use to hearing I am right....

NOT!!!!

Springfield should make it right for you and they should provide a shipping label. Just contact them.

You must be a great wife to buy your husband an XDM. Next thing you know that low-down SOB will be wanting an AR15A3 in a USMC configuration with a 20" barrel. In his defense though, I'm pretty sure he only wants it to protect you from marauding coyotes.

You must be a great wife to buy your husband an XDM. Next thing you know that low-down SOB will be wanting an AR15A3 in a USMC configuration with a 20" barrel. In his defense though, I'm pretty sure he only wants it to protect you from marauding coyotes.
Yay! Honey! You finally got on here. You're going to love these folks. Have fun on the ODT!

Back
Top Bottom