SR1911 Review

gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
Around 40 rounds and it had FTF from a brand new gun. Big difference from never having problems with glocks and sigs.

Love the gun though, just gotta make it mroe reliable.

not really, had a coulpe couldn't hit diddly with em, got this one, 3rd mag in and i put out a 3" group at about 10 yrds. ruger saved this design for me.

A properly fitted 1911 doesn't require any more break in than a Glock. Is it stove piping, failing to go into battery, or just not picking up the next round?

My Ruger was shipped with about a 25 lb recoil spring. These are fine for +P+ rounds, but not so much for lower velocity loads. I put a standard 16lb slide spring in mine after the first range visit. Mine has a tight chamber and doen't come to full battery with some .452 cast bullets. That's not unusual though as many match chambers are super tight and very unforgiving to .452 bullets.

If you're going to have a 1911, you'll need to match your slide/recoil spring to your ammo for best results. I load medium velocity rounds for mine and the standard 16lb springs keeps the brass in a neat little pile just to my right. If the brass is flying more than a few feet away you need a bit heavier spring. I don't know what they're shipped with, but mine was definitely heavier than any 16lbs.

I also put a Cylinder & Slide reduced weight sear/safety and an 18lb mainspring in mine. The trigger breaks nicely @ just over 3lbs. It's a definite tack driver. The best shooting affordably priced U.S. made 1911 I've had.

Last edited:
Failure to battery, so far i've heard, loosening the extractor, dropping the spring weight, buffing the feed ramp and the top of the throat all kinds of fun stuff.

&#8203;I'd try different ammos. If it fails to come to full battery with more than one factory ammo, I'd send it back for inspection. It may be the extractor interfering with the case travel? With the spring that shipped in mine it should close a barn door with a cow in it.

My Dan Wesson has such a tight chamber that cast .452's are going to require a push to lock fairly often.
.451's come to battery every time though.

Back
Top Bottom