• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My pig's got some new lipstick (Altamont grips review)

pineapplesteve7

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
59   0
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Charter Arms Undercover for a good deal and thought the grips could use some updating. I looked around at a few options ranging from vintage grips off Ebay to the no name brands on Amazon before stumbling across Altamont. I liked most all of the grips on their website, the prices were nice too, and eventually settled on the smooth classic panel in dark walnut. I just got them in and installed and I am impressed.

The grips came packaged nice and neat along with a few extras:

1. 3 screws off different lengths and thicknesses to cover all bases.

2. 2 o-rings to assist with the fit across multiple different frames.

3. Paperwork including an opportunity to make some money back on your purchase.

The finish is excellent, nice and smooth with a dark glossy look. The fit isn't perfect but definitely good enough for government work. If I took my time and sanded everything down I could get it to look better but this will only ever ride in a jacket pocket and it isn't a show piece so who cares?

I did have to do some minor adjustments. Once the grips were installed I checked the function and the gun worked in double action but in single action the hammer would hang up. After a few minutes of trial and error I realized that the inside of the grips were pinching the bottom of the hammer on the inside ever so slightly. It took 2 minutes with a Dremel tool and I had it put back together and functioning as it should.

Overall I would recommend these to anyone wanting to give new life to an old revolver.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231208_211450.jpg
    20231208_211450.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 36
thanks for the review and pictures. I have the same gun with crusty grips. Yours looks really nice I’m going to check them out. Merry Christmas to me lol.

Back
Top Bottom