• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stand Your Ground Newnan Case

grundlepus

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
0   0
Reaction score
I heard about this in the thread about bars with "No Guns" signs. Surprised I haven't heard of this case before. Does anyone have more details about this? I guess Georgia Carry is doing its job by sticking up for gun owners and gun rights, but I feel a little uncomfortable about it because from what I have read about the case this is a pretty clear case of murder, but it sounds like they are backing him!. A wrongful death suit should not be enough for this guy if he is so unbalanced as to shoot someone over a scuffle about a girl (especially when he instigated the whole thing, twice!). I don't feel comfortable knowing that he or someone else might be able to start another incident like this one and walk.

http://www.times-herald.com/local/20131110-Stand-Your-Ground-Suit

I think gun laws should be left out of this.Let the court decide self defense or conviction.Period.I`m a Ga Carry member,but I`m surprised that they are backing this guy.I`m afraid that all the work done to give us this 2nd amendment freedom will be short-lived due to the immature folks carrying,the drunks carrying,and the jerks with attitudes carrying.As for this case,though,I only know what I read here,so I can`t judge yet.

You two are misrepresenting GeorgiaCarry.Org's position on this case. They are not backing/representing the shooter. They are backing the "Stand Your Ground" statue in GA. law against the Rainbow Coalition. (Jessie Jackson)

There is nothing in that article that says GCO is representing the shooter Adam Lee Edmondson.

Just a few days after the suit was filed, gun rights organization GeorgiaCarry.Org filed a motion to intervene in the case, a motion to dismiss, and a brief in support of the motion to dismiss.

The attorney for GeorgiaCarry, John Monroe, is a former Coweta resident.

In the brief supporting the motion to dismiss, Monroe picks apart the suit's claims, while also claiming the plaintiffs "utterly lack any semblance of standing to bring their case" and that the court has no jurisdiction. And even if there is standing, the plaintiffs don't state a case for which relief can be granted.

Smith lacks standing because the defendants, the state, had nothing to do with his conviction, and he can appeal his conviction or file for a writ of habeas corpus, Monroe claims.

There is nothing the court could do to overturn the acquittal of Edmondson in the death of Johnson, even if the statute were overturned, Monroe claims. Additionally, Johnson's family could bring a wrongful death suit against Edmondson.

If the "stand your ground" statute was overturned, "nothing in Georgia law would change," Monroe says in the brief. "The Supreme Court ruled in 1898 that there is no duty to retreat in Georgia."

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/201...ismisses-rainbow-push-stand-your-ground-case/

Federal Court Dismisses Rainbow PUSH “Stand Your Ground” Case
Today, May 5, 2014
, Federal District Judge Julie Carnes dismissed Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH Coalition’s lawsuit against Governor Nathan Deal and Attorney General Sam Olens, seeking to have Georgia’s so-called “Stand Your Ground” law declared unconstitutional.

GCO had moved to intervene in the case and had filed two motions to dismiss the case. The plaintiffs failed to serve the defendants, and the attorney general also filed his own motion to dismiss based on this failure.

The court noted GCO’s participation in the case, but ultimately granted Olens’ motion. The court also noted the plaintiffs’ counsel’s pattern of filing such a case and never serving the defendants.

The documents in the case may be found here.

Back
Top Bottom