• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Star wars canyon

Our UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter pilots used to fly nap-of-the-earth from Ft. Hunter-Liggett back to Ft. Ord through the Salinas Valley with the damn doors open, at NIGHT. I know they did it to scare the newbs, but i got used to it and STILL didn't like it.
Lookin' out the left door and seeing the treetops illuminated from the lights, and then they banked and you could see the treetops out the right door. I haven't been in any kind of bird in a long time and sure don't give a crap if I EVER go back up in one.
ONE MORE THING: MAY GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY AND ALL OF THOSE THAT SERVE.
Supposedly, the 'graduation exercise' from F-111 training was simple. You fly to a point in the desert, go down to low level, turn on Terrain Following, and are given one instruction: if you touch the stick, you flunk.
Plane flies along the desert, no real mountains, no trees, until ...

... it hits the Grand Canyon.
Nose points to the canyon floor.
Without pilot input, plane will level out and fly along floor.
If pilot touches the stick, Terrain Following turns off.
Gotta trust the plane.
(Same reason F-18s have handles on the canopy above the pilot's head. Too many pilots were crashing on carrier launch.
So, pilot must grab the handles, visible to the carrier crew, and not release until the plane flies itself into the air.)

I remember fishing below the Crisp Co power dam as a kid. We had to be on constantly looking for shadows.

A pair of F15s did weekly/monthly bombing runs on that dam and would scare the **** out of us.

Back
Top Bottom