• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting a AR10 build

If you attend any good AR Armorer course, or look at the work bench in any of the quality/well-known shops, you’ll see reaction rods for working on uppers.

If you attend any good AR Armorer course, or look at the work bench in any of the quality/well-known shops, you’ll see reaction rods for working on uppers.
I understand that. I have one. Like I said before I was trying to come up with an alternative to nothing when dealing with loosening and tightening Barrel nuts and muzzle brakes without the possibility of damaging the receiver during the process. I am not suggesting someone do it with the proper tools available. It just a idea of how one could go about it in time of crises where those tools aren't available and damaging the upper receiver would be catastrophic in linden render the weapon inoperable. I agree with you 100%, I'm not arguing that point. In fact I'm not arguing at all I'm just speaking hypothetically of how one might go about it in a situation where the tool was not available due to an economic breakdown.

The cost of a reaction rod will pay for itself if it prevents one barrel index pin from being sheared, or your takedown pin holes from being blown out. If you want to go budget, Botach makes one that will do the job without breaking the bank.

Whole lot of debate going on for a simple project, lol. I was just trying to decide if I need to buy the tools to complete this project or have it done by a qualified person that has them.
I will probably just take it to cmshoot when I have time since this is my first ar10 308 build. I have all the tools tools build an AR15.
If I decide to build another 10 then I may buy the necessary tools then.

Whole lot of debate going on for a simple project, lol. I was just trying to decide if I need to buy the tools to complete this project or have it done by a qualified person that has them.
I will probably just take it to cmshoot when I have time since this is my first ar10 308 build. I have all the tools tools build an AR15.
If I decide to build another 10 then I may buy the necessary tools then.

Welcome to the ODT! LOL

What's a forum without a debate. It's all good. I wasn't trying offer an alternative for the proper tool. I was just wondering if another method could be used if the proper tools weren't an option. It really not important since it won't be an issue in my lifetime hopefully.

By all means take it to CMshoot or someone with the proper tool to have it done the right way.

If you can open your eyes enough you can see it basically is the same thing. Lugs on one end to lock into the barrel extension, the rod at the other end to lock into a vise and instead of the middle being a perfect cylinder shape there is a carrier there. The function is exactly the same. I am not making this up. You just can't Invision it.

Back
Top Bottom