• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting out......

ddennis

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
So I have a question for all you veteran reloaders. Could I start with something like a "Lee Precision 45 ACP or 45 Auto Rim Pistol Loader Complete Reloading Kit - 90262" to hand load .45 acp for my XD? I know its more labor intensive from watching some videos..but super cheap to start out. Thoughts? I'd even consider the Lee hand press like this one on EBAY

I've always seen those as a sort of EOTW/last measure/bug out bag kind of kit. At the very least, I'd get a good scale so you don't have to rely on the powder scoop for accurate charge measurement.

I can see it being a decent way to learn the basics.

Nothing wrong with either of those options. The Lee Hand Press will give you more options on calibers, just buy the dies. How many rounds a month do you shoot? How many calibers? If you decide to go single stage route you'll have no problem selling the Lee Loader or the hand press if you decide to move up.

Just get ready to always wanting/needing another piece of equipment, dies, shell holders, primer pocket reamers, trim length gauges, calipers, tumblers, its a lot of fun but you never stop wanting just one more tool, or equipment. Just always be careful, and always think safety.

I don't shoot nearly enough. My thought is if I start reloading the brass I have saved, I would shoot more..

Correct on both accounts.

As time goes on if you are really into it, you will acquire more reloading stuff. It really gives you a lot of flexibility from mild to wild without the expected cost of retail ammo.

Back
Top Bottom