• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Staying warm

Trout Slayer

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Today while I was hunting, a buddy that leases from me was texting me about how cold he was in his stand. This got me to thinking as I was snug as a bug in a rug just 18 miles away on another property of mine. I've been using ThermaCare Body Wraps for the last few years while hunting in temps below 40°. Having the warmth of the wrap on your core makes a HUGE difference in very cold weather.
I bow hunt 95% of the time out of lock on stands so I don't like to be very bulky at all. With a safety harness and drawing a bow having a bulky outfit and multiple layers can be a pain in the rear.
So does anyone else use these wraps? They are for lower back pain relief but they work great for keeping you warm in the cold. Of course I keep a couple hand warmers in my coat pocket too. It's a cheap way to supplement your clothing. I started using them years ago while fishing in icy weather and they fell right into my hunting apparel.
My buddy hadn't thought about them at all so I figured maybe there are other folks out there that could use the tip too.

I've never used them. When hunting rifle season in Nebraska it's always the 4 way Browning Parka, Browning bibs,and nice thick smartwool socks. Make sure your boots aren't too tight too. Good gloves and a good hat, and I was set down to -10 or so with a wind. Much colder than that, and we retreated to the tower stand.

Shoot, there's even battery powered insoles and vest these days. Not necessary unless you're some kind of twig of course, but them got 'em. Drink more beer. Eat more cheese. Get some decent coveralls and boots. Also, dress to be shivering a little when you get out the truck so you don't sweat. Antiperspirant on your feet helps in the insulated boots. Quality insulated, windproof outwear and boots worn loosely will handle anything in GA. Maybe a small thermos of coffee if you're a twig.

Oh, and eat your damn oatmeal! It'll keep you warmer.

Last edited:
I've always heard it said that there's no such thing as bad hunting weather....only bad choices of what clothes to wear. Good tip man.......

Had a buddy who has a Milwaukee electric jacket. He said it's like putting on an electric blanket and uses the same batteries as a cordless drill. Got it at Homedepot. I am getting one for Christmas! Battery life on cold day is 2-6hrs depending on the setting you use.

"The camo version can be used with Milwaukee M12, M12 RedLithium, or M12 XC batteries, and you get up to 6 hours of continuous heat on a single battery charge." Slick. Might be worth comparing weights of heavy clothing and the new electric stuff. I guess if you hunt on private and out of permanent stands it doesn't matter.

The key is not sweating.

If your clothes are wet inside from sweating, you'll freeze your arse off.....if you're dry you're toasty.

I wore the same outfit three days in a row and stayed warm on the colder days but froze my arse off the last day because I worked up a sweat tending trails before hunting the last two hours of daylight.

I need to find a pair of those rubber boots with the large felt inserts we used to use as kids when we went sled riding......those boots were incredible.