• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Steel cased ammo in AR

1911guy

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
After many, many rounds of steel ammo through AR's, I had my first issue this weekend. I was about 15 rounds through a 30 round mag(first mag of the day) and had a fail to extract. Rifle was good and clean prior to firing.
When I got home, I took a cleaning rod and knocked out casing, which was in there pretty good. Went ahead and put in new extractor and spring because it looked pretty worn, but believe it was steel cased ammo problem, and not the extractor.

Have any of you experienced this ? I've heard that extra lubing in the chamber will remedy this. Any thoughts other than only shoot brass ?

Yes I have a few times. It happens. Carry a rod with you. The steel comes out easily when its hot. Steel doesnt give or you could say is less plyable than brass. Tighter tolerance guns have more issue with this.

Yes I have a few times. It happens. Carry a rod with you. The steel comes out easily when its hot. Steel doesnt give or you could say is less plyable than brass. Tighter tolerance guns have more issue with this.

This. It's rare I get a stuck casing in my ar-15. Clean your chamber . Get all that stuff out of there. I still use steel cased 223 to save money durning high volume shooting. I've had nothing but fun with silver bear, it's a step up from wolf. I paid like 140 bucks for 500 rounds of it.

Clean, but DON'T lube the chamber.

Never lube a rifle chamber.

And, even though we have beat hell out of this dead horse, I don't use steel cased ammo in an AR. Maybe silver bear would be O.K., but I don't want all that nasty laquer all over my chamber. Too much potential trouble.

Clean, but DON'T lube the chamber.

Never lube a rifle chamber.

And, even though we have beat hell out of this dead horse, I don't use steel cased ammo in an AR. Maybe silver bear would be O.K., but I don't want all that nasty laquer all over my chamber. Too much potential trouble.
Never had a problem with the laquer but the silver bear makes me think less about it.

Back
Top Bottom