• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stiff slide on Taurus PT609.

Mortzos

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
13   0
Reaction score
Can the tension on the slide of a 9mm pistol be adjusted? I don't have the hand strength in my left hand like I used to and find it very difficult to rack the first shell into the chamber and I would like to get it easier. I like the gun, just cant use it safely and am tired of getting my fingers pinched. Any help would be appreciated. I thought it would get easier with use but have put about 300 rounds through it but is still too hard.

Yes it can but you risk harming the gun (too weak) or reducing functionality (too strong). However, if shooting light target loads the spring can be lightened and in contrast to shooting heavier recoiling than normal ammo a heavier spring can be selected.

It's directly proportional to the required strength of the recoil spring. A small micro, compact pistol will require a stronger spring to overcome the force expended (do more with less). While there are some small variances, one cannot escape the basic physics of overcoming and muting the energy expended in You could try a large pistol or a revolver or train a different technique. There is a push pull method that I train. Gripping the pistol in the right hand push forward, the left gripping the slide pulls then releases at the end of the stroke. The pistol is held close to center of the body to gain leverage. Many, children firing a round.

and weak adults can operate the pistol in this fashion given some practice.

A revolver with a butter smooth DA and crisp SA action is an excellent gun for those with weak hands. Age, arthritis, stroke take their toll on a person and a revolver is simplistic and ultimately reliable compared to semi-autos.

Last edited:
I think you would be better served by a different gun.

You might try shopping at a big store with lots of inventory so you can find something that works for you.

If you are carrying for protection, you might consider a tip up barrel 32 ACP by Beretta or Taurus. You simply drop the first round directly into the chamber with no need to rack the slide. The Beretta model name is "TomCat".

If you are only target shooting at the range, consider a Gen3 Glock 17 with a reduced power recoil spring and : http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/slide-hardware/slide-rackers/glock-slide-racker-prod42165.aspx

Just orient it so that it will not hit your thumb as it reciprocates.

These are also some options, but you may have to have one custom made for the Taurus.
untitled.png

untitled1.png

Not to keep chiming in, but, here is a technique that I try to get my dad to use:

Start with one empty mag and an unloaded gun.

Insert the empty--rack the gun-it should stay open--it should rack a little easier on an empty mag.

Now-replace the empty mag with a full one -drop the slide with the release lever

Shoot it empty and let it lock back on its own--repeat as often as you care to.

With this procedure, if you have to wrestle it to get the slide back, at least the gun is empty during the fight.

How do you try to rack it? Based on you saying your left hand I assume you are trying to rack it using just your left hand.

have your tried the push pull method? Where you push the frame and pull the slide in opposite directions at the same time?

Thanks for all the answers guys, yes I do push/pull to rack the weapon but it is still hit or miss whether I get the first round in the chamber. I am picking up a S&W 38 tomorrow and I think that is the way I am going. Looks like you guys will be seeing my 9mm on the for sale site.

Back
Top Bottom