• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

storing powder/primers

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
where you all store your powders. My set up is in my garage which is not climate controlled. It gets about 10* warmer than it is outside in the winter and about 12-15* cooler than it is outside in summer.

all of my powders and primers are in original containers or baggies with dessicant packs. Do you think I will run into any issues as far as faster deterioration, etc?

Most all reloading manuals have a section, usually in the front, have information on storing powder & primers. Here is an excerpt from another web site.

Powder should be stored in the proverbial cool, dry place. Never expose smokeless powder to direct sunlight. Prolonged exposure to heat above 90 degrees F can cause smokeless powder to deteriorate. According to the Hodgdon Powder Company, deteriorating powder usually has a noticeable acidic odor (not the usual solvent odors of alcohol, ether or acetone), and a red dust or sticky substance may form on the powder. This deterioration can ultimately result in spontaneous combustion. Obviously, powder must be stored far from any possible exposure to flame, electrical sparks and heat sources.

Leave smokeless powder in the container in which it was sold. Such containers are designed to come apart should the powder somehow ignite, preventing the build-up of dangerously high pressure. Remember, the more smokeless powder is confined, the more dangerous it is. If powder cans are placed in a cupboard or cabinet, make sure it has weak wall joints and doors that can be easily blown open. A powder fire is bad enough; you must prevent the build-up of pressure that could lead to what is, effectively, an explosion.

Smokeless powders, once ignited, will burn until they are completely consumed. They provide their own oxygen for combustion and cannot be extinguished by depriving them of atmospheric oxygen. Since it is intended to burn, a smokeless powder fire is difficult to fight.

Back
Top Bottom