• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Summer Biathlons

FooSchnickens

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
So I've known for a while that they had summer biathlons where you either ran or biked instead of skiing but used the same .22 target rifles. What I didn't know is that there is now a variant of the sport where you use full-power centerfire rifles as well as pistol and engage targets at unknown distances out to about 400yds.

This sounds fun. as. hell.

One of the most famous of these style matches is held in Midland TX and called the Pecos Run & Gun in the Sun. Here's a writeup of this years event held back in October:

http://www.ttellc.net/prgs.htm

And a video of some of the stages:

Also, a lot of you who understand the concept of "train well, train often" will totally appreciate this. The guy who took second place is living proof that what's behind the gun is just as important (if not more) as the gun itself:

www.ttellc.net_images_prgs22.jpg

This goofy dude took second place wearing flip-flops, a homemade kilt and a messenger bag to hold his ammo and other supplies. I love it.

All that aside, here's the reason for this thread; are there any events like this closer to us? I've heard of similar events held in NM, AZ and CA, but can't find anything closer than TX. Adding to the frustration is that there isn't any kind of sanctioning body for these events other than the local clubs that put them together. I've sent an email to the Pecos organizers if they have any ideas or leads but I'm afraid I already know what their answer would be. Anyone have any leads on similar events?

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy of mine and I tried to find some summer biathlon events close to here with no luck. If I had the time and resources, I would love to start up some events!

Back
Top Bottom