• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Suppressor and .223/.556

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I am mulling over getting a suppressor, primarily for my AR-22. If I get one, I am thinking I should get one that will help reduce the noise of my big boy AR as well. Questions I have for you sage gentlemen are: 1) does a suppressor with .223/.556 make enough of a difference to justify it? 2) what suppressors have you used on both platforms and what kind of results did you have? 3) tacos - soft shell or hard?

A 22 can will fail with a 223 round. But a 223 can will work on a 22. Watch the lead though.
But I would go with a 308 can - wider range of applications for about the same price. Slightly louder but still ok.

Most centerfire cans are sealed. Most rimfire cans can be taken apart, for good reason. Rimfires are very dirty with powder, and wax. Therefore 22 cans need to be taken apart and cleaned often. I wouldn't want to clog up my sealed centerfire can with 22 garbage. Go to silencertalk, and read up.

I've only had my suppressors for a couple of weeks, so I'm no expert but have learned quite a bit in the process.. 1st, the muzzle pressure is the key to what a particular suppressor will handle. The 5.56 can will work on anything that size or smaller(w/lower pressure), but as described above, rimfire is filthy and you wouldn't want to use a larger sealed can on a rimfire weapon because it cant be sufficiently cleaned. You cant put a .22 can on a 5.56 because the pressure would destroy it.. Any suppressor is a significant investment, more than the price of another gun, so give it plenty of thought. I simply could not justify dropping the cash for a muffler that would only work on my 5.56 guns, I "had" to make it more versatile, so I went with the 7.62 version.. I'm currently using it on my 5.56 guns, but can use it up to .308 and potentially lower powered rounds in my '06 bolt guns as well as the distant possibility that the 300Blackout when the bug bites me.. Yes, the 7.62 can is a bit louder on the AR than a 5.56 can would be, I'm told its about 2dbl, not quite double the sound, but significantly quieter than un suppressed.. I've been describing the 16" as sounding like a souped up paintball gun when its suppressed.. I shot mine next to my buddys identical rifle and the difference is huge, but in no way TV quiet. My 10.5 is a good bit louder, but still don't need hearing protection.. My .22 can is much more effective, the Walther P22 sounds like a nail gun, the cricket sounds like a pellet gun..

As has been mentioned, you can shoot a 5.56mm silencer on a Rimfire host. It's possible, but not recommended.

22lr blows what looks like concrete dust into a silencer. Anyone that has ever cleaned a dirty 22lr can tell you that. You can shoot your 22lr to the point that it gums up and will not chamber or cycle right? Well you don't want to fill your expensive 5.56mm can like that.

Here is an exaple photo of what the inside of your 22lr can looks like if you don't get inside and clean it:
www.aacblog.com_wp_content_uploads_Prod_01_600x398.jpg

Source

It is more advisable to get a dedicated, cheap 22lr silencer to use for 22lr. They are fairly inexpensive, even a cheap one is great. They are light weight and compact, which makes 22lr shooting enjoyable.

If you want double duty, you can get a hand gun can that comes apart and it will do a fair job suppressing the 22lr hosts.

HTH

Just get both. Well worth. Everyone begins the suppressor journey wanting as much overlap as they can get from a single can. Quickly you learn this is not the best way to go. Be smart and start from the beginning with a 22 and a 5.56 or 30 cal can.

Back
Top Bottom