• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Surface Rust on Slide

SSSTANG

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
62   0
Reaction score
I had a lot of work last week so I was very busy and new (to me) Bersa BP9CC stayed in holster for 3-4 days. When I did take it out I found rust on the left side of the slide. I was sick! just picked it up about a month ago and I love it, shoots great and is very concealable. Anyway, I read up on removing surface rust and tried rubbing lightly with oiled scotch-bright pad and ended up removing the bluing.
Bersa Rust (1).jpgBersa Rust (2).jpg

I decided I'd have the slide nitrited but was told 6 wks to 6 mo wait. Then I considered ceracoat/duracoat but don't really want it painted. Now I'm researching rebluing. I guess I'll try cold bluing first and see how that turns out then decide if I want to try hot bluing.

Does anyone have experience with bluing? Any advice will be appreciated.

Cold blue will disappoint. If it were me I would opt for a Zinc phosphate or manganese phosphate parkerization. A light bead blasting and then to the tank and it will come out durable and long lasting. The zinc park will be more of a light grey, whereas the manganese park will be dark grey/black. Neat looking little pistol.

thats a cool looking Bersa. i think you used to rough of a steel wool. should have used lots of oil and like a 0000 steel wool. get it parkerized and she'll be as good as new.

left my K-9 for a while, it did the same thing, only alot worse, cause I didnt check it for a few weeks....

now I remembered why I usually only buy stainless or nickel

and now I dont have to worry about future holster wear or scratches. cant make it any worse.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360371818.584076.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360371781.933434.jpg

Cold blue will disappoint. If it were me I would opt for a Zinc phosphate or manganese phosphate parkerization. A light bead blasting and then to the tank and it will come out durable and long lasting. The zinc park will be more of a light grey, whereas the manganese park will be dark grey/black. Neat looking little pistol.
Oakridge Custom Finishing in Warner Robins does Duracoat and parkerizing. They said about a 3 day turn-around right now. I kinda want to try to do the hot bluing myself. Which would look better and be more durable, hot blu or parkerized?

I'd just Cerakote it and not worry.

An easy fix for bluing on a carry gun is to clean the surface really well and then coat in car wax. I used to have to do it to my old Kimber when I shot it all the time. It would rust if you looked at it funny; but once I started waxing it I could get 3 months or so of serious use before I had to apply another coat. I still use it for steel sights that are nothing more than parkerized.

I'd just Cerakote it and not worry.

An easy fix for bluing on a carry gun is to clean the surface really well and then coat in car wax. I used to have to do it to my old Kimber when I shot it all the time. It would rust if you looked at it funny; but once I started waxing it I could get 3 months or so of serious use before I had to apply another coat. I still use it for steel sights that are nothing more than parkerized.
I never thought about putting wax on the blued surface but it's too late for that now.

I see Brownells sells Parker Manganese Phosphate Solution. Might just give that a try. Yesterday I did order a bottle of Brownells Oxphor cold blu so I might try that first.

Back
Top Bottom