• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Taking a trespassers tree stand considered stealing?

In the midwest, climbing stands don't work worth a damn but we did used to find boards nailed to a tree, and a hang on chained up further up the tree. My uncle had a habit of removing most of the nails in one of the steps that was several feet up the tree.

In the midwest, climbing stands don't work worth a damn but we did used to find boards nailed to a tree, and a hang on chained up further up the tree. My uncle had a habit of removing most of the nails in one of the steps that was several feet up the tree.

Hopefully he would set up a trail cam to see the action!

Found same thing with screw in steps to chain on. Hard to get up into your stand when the first step it 8 feet up in the dark. I would just toss the spikes and be my way.

I've been lucky enough to find a stand, I tied a rope to it and climbed the tallest tree with my stand and then attached theirs at the very top... got an old board spray painted an arrow pointing up to the stand. I've also found a death trap homemade stand and had a load of scrap metal and just added it to the pile. I have also read a story of a guy who would leave strips of 2x4s lined with nails across roads to get tires and feet when they crossed them. But hey are the OBO? I need a few cameras and a stand.

Last edited:
Had poachers on our land. They left a stand which we confiscated. They had one of their friends come and ask us to return the stand. We declined unless the owner of the stand made the claim. Still have the stand.

They will not claim their items as that would be admitting to trespassing. If you do have them hassle you, simply tell them to wait while your local LEO.

SHould let me guard your property. All I want in return is free hunting.

Never ceases to amaze me how truly sorry people are. Screw them. Hunting on some land not yours and the gall to hang a stand and leave it. They don't deserve to get it back they deserve punishment. Local law won't help either.
Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom