• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Taking silencer out of state

Deaken

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
A family member of mine lives in TN and is wanting to get together up there and go shooting and I know that I have to have permission to take them out of state but I don't know what the form is called or where to file for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated such as does it cost, I've heard it lasts for a year so is that year to date or the end of the year and also how long is the turn around time for approval?

Correct, no 5320 needed for suppressors. They just have to be legal at your destination and probably also in the states you will be traveling through just to be on the safe side.
Doesn't have to be legal for states your passing through.

The Firearm Owners' Protection Act of 1986

One of the law's provisions was that persons traveling from one place to another cannot be incarcerated for a firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gas), provided that the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container.[11]
Under this provision, someone driving from Virginia to a competition in Vermont with a locked hard case containing an unloaded handgun and a box of ammunition in the trunk could not be prosecuted in New Jersey or New York City for illegal possession of a handgun provided that the individual did not stop in New Jersey or New York for an extended period of time.
See 18 USC § 926A http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Hey, Ill take it. I have taken my suppressors out of state before. I aint trying to file anymore paperwork so the SBRs sit at home.
For reference I have filed 5230s for both my SBR's for SC and FL. Both came back to me within ten business days approved and I set them good for a year from the submission date. It's pretty painless really.

Back
Top Bottom