• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thanksgiving is a Coming

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Alright so i am plotting and planning what i am going to do with these turkey's next month and need some suggestions. Last turkey we did we did the typical baked turkey which is my personal least favorite. This time i think i am going to have two turkey's slaughtered and let the MIL bake one and i am thinking about putting one on my new barrel smoker/grill. Do you suggest dry rubs? Filling the inside with stuffing? Filling the inside with apples, carrots, onions like a infrared fryer? Does anyone have an easy to follow recipe they use on the grill?

900x900px-LL-02b24ba6_IMG_04841.jpeg
900x900px-LL-04bf9c02_IMG_04861.jpeg
900x900px-LL-e0fff3e9_IMG_04821.jpeg
11755355_10153197035243300_5533828557739240420_n.jpg

I like to bribe mine overnight and then dry run before putting on the smoker. Turns out very juicy.
Do not, I say again, do not stuff it with anything, especially when putting on the grill/smoker. It doesn't allow the inner part of the bird to get done and the stuffing doesn't get hot enough to kill off the bacteria from the bird.

I will probably be dropping the birds off to be prepped on the 22-23 and freezing them until the morning of the 26th or so to allow enough time for it to thaw and apply dry rub to set overnight. What i am reading is 2-3 hours cook time assuming my birds make it to 12-14 pounds by November.

Never done it myself but i did just buy a fryer stand. I would have to find a pot large enough. Wife says no but hell i'll cook the hen for me and leave the tom for the ladies.

if your not worried about the "pretty bird on the table" , then cut the breast off, soak it over night in equal parts brown sugar and salt ( i use a cup each ), cut the legs, back and wings apart. place the breast and dark meat on the smoker pull the breast after an hour or so, wrap in foil and put it in a aluminum pan with a thermometer and cook to 155 degs internal. pull it and let it sit for 30 mins. the reason i don this is because if you cook the turkey until the temp in the thigh gets to the 165 deg range the breast is over cooked and dry.

Back
Top Bottom