The $374 CZ "SP-01" clone PROJECT P120 [update pg. 5, VIDEO ADDED]

Gordon Freeman

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
137   0
Reaction score
I just wanted to share this with those who want to try the CZ SP-01, but don't want to spend $650. You can now buy an excellent clone by Canik (pronounced Chun'nick) imported as Tristar P120.

The Tristar brand of CZ clones have been available for a while now, and all pretty much sell for less than $400. The latest gun to make it here under Canik brand was the TP9-SA, which is an almost clone of the P99 with 18rd capacity, but an excellent VP9, PPQ-esque trigger. For $330.

The P120, which is what I am discussing here is a clone of the SP-01 that sells for $374 shipped (cheapest when I bought one) out the door with FFL.
It is a fullsize pistol with a steel slide, and steel frame. The gun has a cold hammer forged 4.7in barrel produced in an ISO9000 certified and NATO certified weapons facility. Same as CZ P01. Which means the QC is much tighter than normal to ensure that all parts can fit in every single gun that comes out of the factory, and can be interchanged, fitted, without any issues, or difference in fitting. It also sports a full rail dust cover. And a steel guide rod, unlike the SP-01. RH safety, and RH mag release. Unlike the SP-01, the safety can be engaged in DA. The finish is not nearly as good as the CZ, but it's not terrible. It's cerakoted in black, with silver stainless finish available. It comes with two 19+1 Mec Gar excellent quality magazines, and you can use CZ mags as well.

I also ordered some upgrades from Cajun Gun Works. Namely the 85 Combat trigger upgrade, SPKG1 kit, and a few other goodies. So, that should impove the trigger way beyond stock. CZ grips fit with slight enlargement to the screw hole. Otherwise, this is an excellent gun for the money. And I will update this page once I get my gun to the shop.

Example:
VT0Kna4.jpg
2.high.jpg
13955491799_575ef25102_b (1).jpg

Last edited:
Can these guns be converted to SAO like the CZ 75 Compact?
I talked to them earlier, and they said it is possible to fit the SAO trigger in one, but the only issue is that sometime the trigger rollpin is of a different size in the Tristar, and may not fit. Because there were several revisions and updates to the trigger, it may or may not work. From my understanding, David said the newer ones are good to go. You can send off your gun to get the work done.

The upgrades I ordered cost me about $120, and should drop my DA pull by about 50%, and my SA in the 3-3.5lbs range. And if I get the Race hammer kit, you're looking at trigger pull close to 2.5lbs, which is what the CZ Shadow has.

And the best part? All this is going to cost less than a new stock SP-01.

lots of good reviews on the caniks for sure.
another long time player and the first to clone the CZ's is the (Tanfoglio) sold under the EAA Witness banner as well .
very similar to the Cz and priced in the high 3 to low 4 bills price, depending on finish.
A very large selection of calibers as well.
I have a 38 Super and 10 MM in the all metal and they are extremely well made weapons.
I would mention now that I have a CZ SP-01 TACTICAL and I paid right at 610 bucks for it, the regular SP-01 should be 35-50 bucks less than the tactical.

Thanks. I ordered the gun from Centerfireguns. They seem to have an excellent reseller rating of 9/10. I gave up on Budsgunshop as my primary online store, after I got screwed the last few items with them charging my account, then telling me they did not have the items in stock. Of course, they took the money, and charged me first, then made me wait 5 days for refund. My last order with them took two weeks just to ship it after payment was cleared.

Here is the gun (don't pay attention to the different image. It's the correct gun):

http://www.centerfireguns.com/tristar-sporting-arms-p-120-9mm-4-7in-blue-17rd-85080.html

The shipping was free, no CC fee, and they shipped it out in 1 day after I paid them. That's definitely leaving a very good impression on me so far.

Last edited:
I tend to buy weapons locally almost all the time.
I have ordered online but not much.
I like to feel, hold and check a weapon out before purchasing it.
while they may all function fine its seldom that I don't find fit / finish and smoothness better among a certain one or two weapons.
If anyone is not familiar with the CZ (and many clones) they don't realize just how well they shoot.
every CZ and clone that I have will shoot way better than I can, course they may not be saying much for my abilities!--LOL

Update May 28th, 2015:

As I said before, I ordered the gun on Tuesday morning, and it was shipped out the same day, and it arrived to CGP yesterday in AM. I got a call yesterday at 6pm, that it was ready to be picked ip. Well, I picked it up today (thank you CGP for the free transfer!!)

And?

0528151025.jpg
2015-05-28_10.39.43.jpg
2015-05-28_10.35.19.jpg
2015-05-28_10.36.11.jpg
2015-05-28_10.34.43.jpg

Back
Top Bottom