• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

This one's for Biker13.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
"BROWN BEAR HUNT WITH A .308?

Although I think that it's good practice to take the most powerful cartridge that you can shoot well under stress, horsepower isn't everything. Big rifles give you a larger margin of error, but being able to shoot accurately and selecting quality bullets are far more important. I've seen hunters flinch so bad from heavy recoiling rounds that they can't hit a paper pl...ate at 100 yards off a bench, and I've seen the deadly results of an experienced shooter using a much smaller cartridge that they are very comfortable with.

If there's any doubt, there's this example: A buddy of mine from Kodiak who has guided a lot of brown bear hunters, finally drew his dream tag on Kodiak. He took this giant boar with 2 well placed shots from his .308 at 280 yards (He was using 168 grain Barnes TSX bullets). The first shot was a double lung, but the bear was still on his feet. At the second shot to the boiler room, the bear collapsed, and never got back up.

His bear was one of a lifetime, and squared right at 11 feet, with a 29 1/4" skull. The fleshed hide and skull weighed 196lbs!"

308 bear.jpg

Note that he used my favorite bullet to do it. Barnes 168gr TTSX for the win.

glad he didnt shoot over it with a half ass gun.Good work 308

Between you and me and everyone reading this, I will officially say that there is nothing wrong with the 308. That said, I grew up at 8000 feet in the Rocky Mountains. On rocky mountain game, growing up I was always told the 308 was a woman's gun. 308 was what you gave your wife because she wanted to go hunting with you.

I realize that here in Georgia with deer the size of dogs, and no elk, 308 is more than enough for anything here.....heck 308 is enough for anything in the rockies. To me though, it will always be a woman's gun.

I don't understand why anyone would feel under gunned with a .308. Would I prefer a larger caliber for Kodiak? Sure, but I would hunt with a .308. It is still a .30 caliber projectile moving quite rapidly.

That's a beautiful bear.

Between you and me and everyone reading this, I will officially say that there is nothing wrong with the 308. That said, I grew up at 8000 feet in the Rocky Mountains. On rocky mountain game, growing up I was always told the 308 was a woman's gun. 308 was what you gave your wife because she wanted to go hunting with you.

I realize that here in Georgia with deer the size of dogs, and no elk, 308 is more than enough for anything here.....heck 308 is enough for anything in the rockies. To me though, it will always be a woman's gun.
Also referred to as a 30-06 short in the hunting camp circles.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom