• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on the S&W M&P Shield Plus?

NathanFr21

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
2   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently sold my Springfield Hellcat 9MM and am considering the S&W M&P Shield Plus for everyday conceal carry. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? If so, what are your thoughts?

I’ve been carrying one for a year or so…I love the way it conceals and the way it shoots. Extra mag capacity without the bulk…..

I did change out the sights to something easier to see

I used to have one and carried it for a long time before selling it. For me atleast, someone with a little bit bigger hands, I found that it shot well but that it would pinch the webbing between my thumb and pointer finger after a magazine or so. I have found guns like the sig 938 tend to work a little bit better for my hands. So a good gun but would definitely shoot it first if you can.

I have one of the first models (without the extra capacity mag) as my daily carry for years.. Did upgrade the trigger which I am told is now standard. Compared it to the new hi cap shield and they are so close, you could confuse them. The gun has been super reliable and I have put 10k+ rounds through it. Very comfortable to shoot but might be an issue if you have very large hands.

I know this is a month old thread, but thought I'd throw in my .02. I've owned the original Shield, the P365, P365X, Glock 26, 43, and 43X. Of all of those, the Shield Plus OR is easily my favorite, and is my current EDC.

The reasons are:
1) Due to the shape of the grip, I have more room to place the palm of my support hand, compared to the other offerings. This improves accuracy and follow up shot speed. The Shield just shoots like a larger pistol.
2) The grip texture is easily the best of all the others I listed (IMHO).
3) The new trigger in the Plus is also the best of any of the others I listed. Again, IMHO.
4) The Armornite finish on the SS slide and barrel is outstanding.
5) The updated capacity of the Plus model is on par or better than the others in it's size range.
6) The OR model is optics ready and comes with steel night sights from the factory.
7) All of my holsters for the original Shield still work fine with the Shield Plus.
8) The price. I feel like the original Shield and now the Shield Plus is one of the best bargains available. You get a really high quality pistol with time proven performance & reliability for a very reasonable price.

I probably sound like a fanboy after reading all of that. I'm not. I just really like what they've done with this pistol, and I think you get a lot for your money with this one.

I carry a shield plus in the warmer months. No major complaints from me and love shooting it with the red dot. Wouldn’t want to take a class with it though.

Only gripe is the long trigger reset but you can get used to it if you shoot enough

Back
Top Bottom