Tisas 1911 range report

gamadmex4502

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
For my first 1911 and having paid a little over $400 for it, I'm rather pleased overall. I bought it on something of a whim, having been coaxed into the purchase by a couple buddies who are big fans of 1911's. So I saw this one available at Bud's for a relatively low price, and it seemed like it would fit my needs pretty well (i.e. some first-hand 1911 shooting experience with my own weapon). So I wasn't expecting it to be the epitome of 1911 shooting. This was just an initial outing to see how it shot and to see if I liked it. But after a a couple FTF's on the first two mags, I was getting worried. I wanted to blame the factory mag, but I had an FTF with both a Chip McCormick and a Wilson Combat mag. Perhaps it was the Summit ammo, but the rest of it shot fine as did the box of CCI Blazer after that. Long story short, after shooting 100 rounds, I had no further FTF issues other than the ones encounters on the first couple of mags. What I did have an issue with was the rear sight orientation. The rounds were quite a bit left, which could have been me. My low-light vision is not the greatest, and I wasn't wearing my glasses, which I usually don't when I shoot anyway. However, I'm usually not that consistently left, either. At any rate once I corrected for the left hits, I was quite happy with the accuracy and feel of the gun. The last 20 rounds were especially nice to shoot. I appeared to have gotten into a rhythm. Whatever it was it just felt very natural. Recoil was not bad at all, and the function was quite smooth. I like it. I most likely just need to get the rear sight adjusted. And it would really help to have some type of dots or white outline on the rear sight. Again with my eyes the factory sights are not the easiest to see.

Tisas after range.jpg

Glad to hear the positive outing. I love my 1911's and they are more accurate than I am. David Bilbro is my gunsmith in Kennesaw and I am sure he would check and adjust your sights for very little money. He is a great guy and the procedure takes a few minuets to accomplish. Look up SATCO Kennesaw GA. Southern Arms Trading Co. on Lucy dr. Tell him Ron told you to give him a call.
Those GI sights can be hard to get used to, I have had all of mine changed out. You can always use a paint pen to make a couple of white dots on the rear blade. I find the rear dots mess with my focus for the front sight but that could be just me. Do you shoot one eye closed or both open? It will make a BIG difference in your point of aim.
Nice looking Turksih two tone too.

Glad to hear the positive outing. I love my 1911's and they are more accurate than I am. David Bilbro is my gunsmith in Kennesaw and I am sure he would check and adjust your sights for very little money. He is a great guy and the procedure takes a few minuets to accomplish. Look up SATCO Kennesaw GA. Southern Arms Trading Co. on Lucy dr. Tell him Ron told you to give him a call.
Those GI sights can be hard to get used to, I have had all of mine changed out. You can always use a paint pen to make a couple of white dots on the rear blade. I find the rear dots mess with my focus for the front sight but that could be just me. Do you shoot one eye closed or both open? It will make a BIG difference in your point of aim.
Nice looking Turksih two tone too.

Thanks! I'll do that. Kennesaw is fairly close to me. I shoot with one eye closed. Yeah, the fit and finish the the gun is pretty well done. I was very surprised when I received it considering how much I paid for it. I'm already thinking about swapping the rear sight (front is fixed). But I don't want to spend too much on it. Besides I have a Kimber on layway with Bud's. I guess I've fallen for them, too. And to think I was trying to cut down on my calibers and consolidate my ammo.

I thought you shot one eye closed. Try this little exercise. With both eyes open hold out your arm and extend your index finger. Now line it up on a near by object. Once you have your target aligned,close your right eye, now openn it and close your left eye. You will see instantly why you are shooting left.

I have poor vision and G.I. sights in bright light are ok but in dim light I'm just guessing. Many of 1911 steel guns need a bit of time to wear the burs off and mate the frictional surfaces then with a bit of lube are GTG from there.

Yours looks great for $400.

Back
Top Bottom