• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Couldn't ask for a better range day.....

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
.....testing Varget with 175gr SMKs in the old Head Down Products Arcadius. Also, the latest "hotness" in chronographs, the Garmin Xero C1

I gotta say, it's super light, convenient and when I checked it against an Oehler 35P? It's spot on.
AMV is just over 2,500 fps with an 18" barrel, 43 gr of Varget.
20240408_183525.jpg

See, I figured a "perfect range day" in Macon would be a shootout in the hood that you survived..

That part is more country. Theres a lot of country parts to Macon. It sucks, you got a pretty house on 10 acres on some county road, and then 5 miles down the road is crime and bad neighborhoods.

Very nice setup. Need to try that with my spotting scope.....
That's only 100 yards and I was really testing the Garmin Chrono. I did find that 43.2 grains of Varget is way too stout for 175 grain loads using Federal brass. Popped primers all over the place. 43.0 grains was relatively clean and produced a decent group of about 2.75". I'm going to ladder down to see if there exists a "node" somewhere that groups better since I have so much Varget on hand and never used it in any other applications.

I wanted a little higher MV to carry farther but I was having no trouble hitting a 14" X 20" steel plate at 1,000 yards last week. I think about 2,420 fps is going to be the sweet spot.

.....testing Varget with 175gr SMKs in the old Head Down Products Arcadius. Also, the latest "hotness" in chronographs, the Garmin Xero C1

I gotta say, it's super light, convenient and when I checked it against an Oehler 35P? It's spot on.
AMV is just over 2,500 fps with an 18" barrel, 43 gr of Varget.
View attachment 7110321

Nice setup! Although it seems a little unsporting that the chrony doesn't have to dodge your bullets.

Back
Top Bottom