• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

To chassis or not to chassis......

Ole Murph

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
135   0
Reaction score
I need to get rid of the hogue stock on my Remington 700 AAC 308 and replace it with a new chassis. The gun holds three quarters of a minute already, but the stock sucks. I am debating on the AICS and the AX AICS. Any thoughts? What about other options?

Well for the cost of a chassis, you might consider a new B&C, HS precision or other decent quality piece with a full length aluminum bedding block. you could probably also afford some other gunsmithing services like getting the bolt lugs lapped, or the action trued. You could always buy a reloading kit with the money you save and tune a load for your rifle, or if you have a kit already buy components and tune a load. There are lots of less expensive options than a chassis that will make a lot more difference in group size on any rifle.

Here's a link to some really good stocks reasonably priced http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

Unless you're just stuck on owning a Remington You could sell the Remington and buy a Savage model 10 Precision Carbine, get all the features you need, shoot one hole groups at the range and be done with it.
List price is under $800 and comes equipped with a full length bedding block, a user adjustable trigger, a 20" heavy threaded barrel, detachable box mag, oversized tang safety and tactical bolt handle and will shoot the lights out right out of the box. I'm not real fond of the digital camo on the stock but with the out of the box performance of this rig (mine shoots in the teens and .20s at 100 with hand loads and thinks it's a benchrest rifle) I can live with it or paint it.

Last edited:
I say Manners with Mini chasis and send the rifle to Accurate Ordnance or to Ft Daniel and have them cut the action to feed from AW mags, and then while they have it chop an inch off the length of the barrel from the chamber end and rechamber it to better chamber specs since Remingtons are known for a mile and a half worth of jump from the ogive of the bullet on a factory loaded round to the lands and grooves in the barrel.

We use the AICS on our top of the line rifles. When you think about the rigidity of the setup combined with the fact that you don't need any additional bottom metal, it really is a very cost effective solution.

Last edited:
If you do not plan on getting night vision go with the AICS 1.5 or 2.0. I like the Manners stock with mini chassis the best. If you want the utmost in accuracy get the stock skim bedded. You could also look for a used HS precision stock and get it bedded and still come out less than a chassis. There are all kinds of options out there, look around snipershide for ideas

I say Manners with Mini chasis and send the rifle to Accurate Ordnance or to Ft Daniel and have them cut the action to feed from AW mags, and then while they have it chop an inch off the length of the barrel from the chamber end and rechamber it to better chamber specs since Remingtons are known for a mile and a half worth of jump from the ogive of the bullet on a factory loaded round to the lands and grooves in the barrel.

I wouldn't mess with the barrel or action until it was time to replace it. If your gun already shoots .75 so a better stock, trigger and load would serve you better.
My old sps tactical in a bedded HS precision stock with a timney trigger and a custom hand load would shoot sub .5 inch groups all day long. $125 for the trigger, $200 for the stock, $ 450 for badger bottom metal and bedding for a total of $725.

Back
Top Bottom