• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tomahawk is finished!!!!!

Item Name: Forging a combat tomahawk

Willing to Ship: No

Item is for: Trade Only

Trade Value or Items Looking For: 00

Item Description: Spent today working on a tomahawk for an EOD soldier that is deploying in March to Afganistan. Hand forged 1095 steel, I about got it into shape and now stabalizing it before I start doing the final grinding and tempering.

I will add more pics as it progresses.

Pictures:
1325993974_0.jpg

01-14-12-- stabalized the hawk this week and today I did the initail grinding. Now I will stabalize it again before I do the final grind and brown it. Stay tuned for updates.

01-19-12-- tonight I hand fitted the hawk to the handle, quelched it, bead blasted it and then put it in the oven to bring it up to temp. One more time in the oven tomorrow night and should be doing the finishing touches this weekend. Also decided to use a piece of elk leather for the grip. I cut it and will wet it after the hawk is put together and let it shrink dry into place.

01-21-12-- Ok today I stained the handle, finished browning the hawk, put a elk hide grip on it and had it laser etched. I think he will like it. I am SO PROUD that an AMERICAN soldier is going to tote this into combat.

Oh forgot to mention that spike is so hard a file will almost not cut it. The cutting edge has what I call a working taper but could be made to shave very easily
Wow! That's beautiful! I'm sure the soldier will be very proud to carry it. What kind of wood did you use for the handle?

Back
Top Bottom