• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Trap Shooters

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
I have been shooting a metric Buttload of trap the last 2 weeks or so, maybe 1500 rounds I burnt through. I've been using semi-automatics mostly and not only hitting the clays often, but also following up and the larger broken pieces and blasting them as well. Then I decided to try a Ruger Red Label O/U. It is a beautiful gun, but the ergonomics of break barrels and recoil kill my chances at a second shot and even cut my first shot hits considerably. I'm thinking my muscle memory is pretty much stuck to semi autos now, but I was wondering what everyone else preferred for trap/skeet and if they can switch or if it's one or the other. There is something so WASPY about O/U, but I just can't seem to master them.

Additionally, one of the guys I have been shooting with is having some difficulty. I don't really use the bead so much as I feel it out and just point and shoot, he on the other hand tries to use the bead and can't get aligned in time to get a shot off. Would mounting say an Eotech give him some help? If you use optics, what are you using? Figured that the big red circle would give him a good blast radius kind of aim.

Are you shooting competitions or just shooting a local trap range for the sheer hell of it? Or is this practice? Generally Trap competitions you get one shot per bird, so shot recovery isn't a huge issue until you start shooting doubles. As far as choice of shot gun, if you know where the gun is patterning then either platform will do. Personally, while the Ruger Red label is a fine shotgun, it is not the best in the world for trap since it is a field gun, and while I did run my first one hundred straight with one, I would rather give a new shooter something that isn't going to beat them up as much, after all in the words of a few trapshooter I know, Ruger Red Label is latin for recoil. My advice in this regards is to take the shotgun to the patterning board and find out where the pattern is going, I imagine you are going to find that to hit the target you will need to cover it completely. However, without looking at you and seeing how you are shooting there are just too many variables to pin down what you may be doing wrong, whether it is the gun, or a number of other issues, to include you.

As far as aiming/pointing. Having shot trap competitively for over ten years I use the beads(The gun has two, one at the end and one in the middle of the rib, 0to line up the shotgun and make sure it is even. After that I focus out and call for the bird. Now while I am not aiming, what is important is that the gun is well fitted to the shooter, not unlike a good rifle. Also, since i don't know what you friend it doing, a lot of new shooters have issue getting use to leading the birds and sight picture. I have a Browning Trap Combo and it shoots a 50/50 pattern, meaning that half of my pattern is above the POA allowing me to float the bird when lining up my shot.

Hope that helps. Not much time here. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Wish you were closer I can generally help someone more by seeing them shoot and helping with adjustments as they go.

Are you shooting competitions or just shooting a local trap range for the sheer hell of it? Or is this practice? Generally Trap competitions you get one shot per bird, so shot recovery isn't a huge issue until you start shooting doubles. As far as choice of shot gun, if you know where the gun is patterning then either platform will do. Personally, while the Ruger Red label is a fine shotgun, it is not the best in the world for trap since it is a field gun, and while I did run my first one hundred straight with one, I would rather give a new shooter something that isn't going to beat them up as much, after all in the words of a few trapshooter I know, Ruger Red Label is latin for recoil. My advice in this regards is to take the shotgun to the patterning board and find out where the pattern is going, I imagine you are going to find that to hit the target you will need to cover it completely. However, without looking at you and seeing how you are shooting there are just too many variables to pin down what you may be doing wrong, whether it is the gun, or a number of other issues, to include you.

As far as aiming/pointing. Having shot trap competitively for over ten years I use the beads(The gun has two, one at the end and one in the middle of the rib, 0to line up the shotgun and make sure it is even. After that I focus out and call for the bird. Now while I am not aiming, what is important is that the gun is well fitted to the shooter, not unlike a good rifle. Also, since i don't know what you friend it doing, a lot of new shooters have issue getting use to leading the birds and sight picture. I have a Browning Trap Combo and it shoots a 50/50 pattern, meaning that half of my pattern is above the POA allowing me to float the bird when lining up my shot.

Agreed!

Hope that helps. Not much time here. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Wish you were closer I can generally help someone more by seeing them shoot and helping with adjustments as they go.

It's for fun, the church near my house let's me shoot on their property. I Definately agree with the red label recoil sentiments. If you could make it up to gainesville your welcome to shoot, its a tow behind oscellating thrower with foot pedal. I don't know what my friend is doing wrong but he's a generally terrible shot with shakey hands.

I use a Winchester super x2 mostly and I hit very well with it and it is smooth enough to quickly decimate multiple flying clays. Occasionally I use a Beretta semi automatic weighted and ported trap gun and it honestly makes it too easy.

I think the Red label may be gone based on my performance and your comments, any suggestions for an O/u?

It's for fun, the church near my house let's me shoot on their property. I Definately agree with the red label recoil sentiments. If you could make it up to gainesville your welcome to shoot, its a tow behind oscellating thrower with foot pedal. I don't know what my friend is doing wrong but he's a generally terrible shot with shakey hands.

I use a Winchester super x2 mostly and I hit very well with it and it is smooth enough to quickly decimate multiple flying clays. Occasionally I use a Beretta semi automatic weighted and ported trap gun and it honestly makes it too easy.

I think the Red label may be gone based on my performance and your comments, any suggestions for an O/u?

There are a lot of things to take into consideration with trap shooting, and little things do make a difference, especially over a lot of shots, you figure in a competition, each event is 100 targets, and for your best scores you want consistency. There is everything from stance, to hold points, to where you hold the gun, cheek weld, gun fit, whether he is a one or two eyed shooter, to flinching, that can effect a person's shooting. Without actually seeing him shoot it is hard to say, shaky hands or not, there is likely a number of things going on. I am trying to think of where there might be a trap shoot up that way, that I might be at.

As far as shot gun recommendations, again, if we were talking straight competition it would be one thing, for recreational really anything works. But if you are looking at getting into shooting competition then it would be time to shop around a bit, I like Brownings because you get their shotguns both reasonable and they hold up very well, I have well over 50K+ rounds through mine and it is still very tight.

Without actually seeing him shoot it is hard to say, shaky hands or not, there is likely a number of things going on. I am trying to think of where there might be a trap shoot up that way, that I might be at.

Cherokee Gun Club has an ATA Trapshoot on Saturday, August 25...I just HATE that it's right at 100 miles from my house, AND that they start the DOUBLES @ 8:30...Too D*mn EARLY! BTW, "Kain8719" is too MODEST to "Toot His Own Horn", but he is a HELLUVA' Trap Shooter...FWIW....mikey357

Cherokee Gun Club has an ATA Trapshoot on Saturday, August 25...I just HATE that it's right at 100 miles from my house, AND that they start the DOUBLES @ 8:30...Too D*mn EARLY! BTW, "Kain8719" is too MODEST to "Toot His Own Horn", but he is a HELLUVA' Trap Shooter...FWIW....mikey357

It is true, I've had my share of wins, from local, to state, to zone, and even picked up a medal at the Grand a few years back. But, even after all of that I still learn something new from time to time, even after shooting competitively for over ten years now. I should start trying to teach people, but I don't know if it would work that well, not some much because I only ever give credence to one way but because there are several small things that I will give people as things to try when shooting, because I am firm believer in that there is no one size fits all. I credit practicing marital arts from a young age for that thought process.

Cherokee isn't a bad club, have shot there before. Just more of a drive then I like to do personally. If you want something closer, as much as I can't stand the club management, Tom Lowes has a sunday league for trap shooters, if you are just looking for simple practice and get some targets under you.

Back
Top Bottom