Truck parking lot as a business? Educate me

Also bear i mind trucks earn nothing when parked. In addition to any monthly parking model you have in mind, there's real demand for parking while drivers rest and comply with HOS regs.

Having managed 5 distribution centers, I have real reservations that gravel is the way to go if you're going to charge drivers for the privilege of bouncing over the potholes and ruts that will develop in short order. it may work for a company yard used by employees.......

Of course a deep gravel bed is exactly what's laid to stop runaway trucks on steep descents............. So perhaps a towing division would pay dividends ;)

So far it looks like the numbers would work to make it a decent business if I can make it OK with the county (zoned , permitted, DCA sign off etc.). Which means paying off the "right lawyers" to help.

Radar363 Radar363 @Allsmiles @75S216E , If I was picking land from scratch, what is the most important things I can do to get business? I assume close to interstate exit is the most important thing? If you were trying to build one, where would you look to put it?
- How far away from the highway exit would make people look elsewhere?
- How much does pricing drive the decision of where to park? I think I could undercut the average $20 day/ $150 mo and still make money.
- Where is the shortage the worst? Where would you think a place would do the most business? I don't see much on I-20 West of Atlanta.

Thanks in advance guys! I am always up for taking someone out for beer and learning more about it.

ODT'ers, someone on this site mentioned a good use of vacant property might be truck parking but I don't know anything about it. It looks like assuming $175 per spot per month this would make money as a long term business. Does that sound right to y'all?

Is there a shortage of truck parking spots along highways around Atlanta? Is it a very competitive business?
Is one highway better than any other? I20W vs I75N etc.
The interwebz told me about 40 truck spots per acre?
Assuming I can get it zoned properly (light industrial) is there a lot of other regulations I don't know about?

Thanks in advance!
u are asking for a huge problem, do u know who drive most of those? they are parked all over lithia sp, with orange tickets on them, those guys will park anywhere, they not going to pay for it, when they can break the law make the law. lithia sp. sux. just part of metro atl now.

So far it looks like the numbers would work to make it a decent business if I can make it OK with the county (zoned , permitted, DCA sign off etc.). Which means paying off the "right lawyers" to help.

Radar363 Radar363 @Allsmiles @75S216E , If I was picking land from scratch, what is the most important things I can do to get business? I assume close to interstate exit is the most important thing? If you were trying to build one, where would you look to put it?
- How far away from the highway exit would make people look elsewhere?
- How much does pricing drive the decision of where to park? I think I could undercut the average $20 day/ $150 mo and still make money.
- Where is the shortage the worst? Where would you think a place would do the most business? I don't see much on I-20 West of Atlanta.

Thanks in advance guys! I am always up for taking someone out for beer and learning more about it.

I don't remember if you stated that you plan for this to be parking only as opposed to letting drivers sleep on site?
I would think a secure lot, just for parking, could make money. You could also rent spaces for RVs and travel trailers.

They just opened a parking area on Mt Zion Rd, I'm guessing that is in the Morrow city limits, unsure of how many square feet or how much they charge but it is a decent size lot and is fenced, although I don't know what kind of access they have. I could check next time I drive by.
It is close to I-75 but off 2 very busy exits (Jonesboro Rd and the Mt Zion exit) so getting in and out is only easy during the overnight hours.

I would try to avoid being near a residential area- people will constantly complain about the noise and increased traffic. Also, depending on the area, you are an easier target for break-ins and vandalism if they just have to walk across the street.
You definitely won't to make sure the local roads don't have weight restrictions.

There are several truck stops on I-20 on the west side of Atlanta so I don't know how many drivers need monthly parking but on I-75 north of the city the closest one is the Loves on exit 283 up near Cartersville and it fills up fast. Rest area is way up north.

Coming in on I-20 from the east there are more options because there is a Flying J in Union Point with a large lot, and then a TA and a Pilot at the Madison exit and then a rest area on the westbound side closer in, can't remember that mile marker.

Coming down I-85 from SC is bad, nothing south of Braselton and the Pilot there is a pain just to get in and out for fuel. Closest rest area is at the state line.

Coming up I-85 from Alabama there are a few truck stops before you get to Newnan but the one in Fairburn charges for overnight parking.

Coming up from the southside up I-75 the nearest truck stops are in Jackson, down below the exit for Griffin. There are 4 centers there but they all fill up as soon as the sun goes down.
That might be a good area because you are in between Atlanta and Macon and they are finishing the Amazon DC down there so there should be an increase in truck traffic.

I wish I could be more help but I'm a company driver and don't know any owner operators so don't know where they park.

I assumed the cost to clear, grade, compact, and gravel it. What specifically would I need to do to support the weight and constant traffic of commercial vehicles?

You need a civil engineer for that.

A lot of contractors will tell you they can engineer stuff, but they don’t have the degree or the license.

Our terminal in Forest Park is in sight of I 285 and the entire trailer lot is gravel and runs off into the storm drains as far as I can tell.

Yeah- it's a mess; dust storm when it's dry and mud hole when it's wet but they grade it once a year and keep the pot holes filled in on a regular basis.

I doubt straight gravel would fly with EPD or EPA these days.

IDK, but I sure would consult a professional on that one.

One thing I am sure of:

Set that lot up as an LLC or some sort of corporation.

You don’t want to be personally liable for anything.

Storemytruck.com

I rent a space from them. Their lots vary in price depending on paved/unpaved/location. My lot is just fenced and gravel. I don't see a lot of investment in it, but it works great for me.Parking around the metro area is very short still.

Back
Top Bottom