Turtle building a nest

CardsFan

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
0   0
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of these but I've never seen one in the process of digging a nest before. My wife and I were riding on the Silver Comet Trail in Dallas and Julie noticed it off the path after some showers moved through the area. I would have liked getting some video of her actually laying eggs but I was getting hungry - LOL.

I'm no expert but I think it's an Eastern Box Turtle.

turtle2.jpg

I saw a turtle doing the same thing on Saturday at the Comet! We were around MM 34 and I saw a box turtle digging. I even mentioned it to the two guys with me!

I saw a turtle doing the same thing on Saturday at the Comet! We were around MM 34 and I saw a box turtle digging. I even mentioned it to the two guys with me!

Is that at the Coot's Lake trailhead? That's the prettiest stretch of the trail we have taken so far. I love that tunnel to cool off.

The last three Saturdays the tunnel has been soaking wet. There must be a drain clogged up somewhere. I'm not sure where we were! I have been all the way out to Cedar Town but that was a few years ago.
Is that at the Coot's Lake trailhead? That's the prettiest stretch of the trail we have taken so far. I love that tunnel to cool off.

I've seen 2 "river turtles do this in the last month on the property I'm working on. Went by one of the "nests" today and found the area dug up and egg shells scattered out. Think I'm gonna drive some rebar around the other one tomorrow amd wrap it with a few layers of paige wire. Maybe they'll have a chance. This is the first time I've ever seen it and the were in the process while I was working 15' away with an excavator.

Back
Top Bottom