Ultra Dot Red Dot, Zeroing QA

Adeste

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
20   0
Reaction score
Optics newb here and I am basing this on the "no stupid question premise" LOL. I have an ancient red dot that i got on trade: an Ultradot on standard Tasco rings. It works as far as I can tell i.e. the red dot comes on etc. I have not zeroed it in yet so I do not know if it holds zero and would like to find out. It was on a Marlin and I mounted it on my Ruger Mini 14 which has an Amega front scout rail on it. I do have the traditional Ruger mount and rings as well. The scout rail provides quick eye relief and is already on it so I would like to try this first. The red dot was zeroed in on top of the front post on the Marlin. Based on the configuration of the Mini with the scout rail the red dot sits a little high and the mini front site post is pretty low so it would be a stretch to zero the red on the top of the post without throwing off my cheek weld and eye relief position on the butt stock. I called the manufacture and they were a little ambiguous about it; regarding if the red dot needed to be on top of the post, stating it should be centered in the middle of the optic. My question is can I zero in a red dot and use it effectively without it being on top of the post, just being centered in the middle of the optic, or should it be sitting directly on top of the front post for correct install. I know I can try lower profile rings and possibly try to mount it on the traditional area over the receiver with the mount and rings that Ruger provided but I would like to use the current config if possible.

Thanks!

Optics newb here and I am basing this on the "no stupid question premise" LOL. I have an ancient red dot that i got on trade: an Ultradot on standard Tasco rings. It works as far as I can tell i.e. the red dot comes on etc. I have not zeroed it in yet so I do not know if it holds zero and would like to find out. It was on a Marlin and I mounted it on my Ruger Mini 14 which has an Amega front scout rail on it. I do have the traditional Ruger mount and rings as well. The scout rail provides quick eye relief and is already on it so I would like to try this first. The red dot was zeroed in on top of the front post on the Marlin. Based on the configuration of the Mini with the scout rail the red dot sits a little high and the mini front site post is pretty low so it would be a stretch to zero the red on the top of the post without throwing off my cheek weld and eye relief position on the butt stock. I called the manufacture and they were a little ambiguous about it; regarding if the red dot needed to be on top of the post, stating it should be centered in the middle of the optic. My question is can I zero in a red dot and use it effectively without it being on top of the post, just being centered in the middle of the optic, or should it be sitting directly on top of the front post for correct install. I know I can try lower profile rings and possibly try to mount it on the traditional area over the receiver with the mount and rings that Ruger provided but I would like to use the current config if possible.

Thanks!

It will be zeroed where it's zeroed......

Back
Top Bottom