• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I am considering getting one for my silencer as well as brass. Won't need a large one.

What do you guys have, do you like it, where did you get it and how much was it?

I started out with a Harbor Freight that holds 2 Liters (their largest).
I would like to have one that holds 2 Gallons ... But that's almost a $400 pop.

I use a citric acid solution with a few drops of Tide He for the brass.
The capacity on mine limits usage to around 100 cases per batch.
Even then I have to run at least 4 x 480 second cycles to get the stuff
pretty clean (including primer pockets). Certainly more than clean enough to reload though!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...c-700-ultrasonic-small-parts-cleaner-110-volt

I have this one, got it from bass pro for around 70$ it works well if you don't want/need your brass super shiny. It cleans them up pretty well, especially inside the case and primer pocket. I like the fact that it is much quieter than a tumbler and faster. I clean my brass for ~10 minutes and there good to go.

Only downside is you have to wait for them to dry so I'll clean then prime the next day.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought a bigger one. The 700 model cleans 100 9mm or 60 .223 at a time.

For reference purposes, my Harbor Freight model looks exactly like the Lyman in this link

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...sonic-case-cleaner-110-volt?cm_vc=subv1225214

However, using a 25% off coupon, I paid far less!

BTW: Note the common thread in responses: Ultrasonic will clean the brass probably much better and faster than a vibrator, but it will not be bright and shiny ... Although your firearm could care less, some people simply vibrate after Ultra-sonic ... with the vib cycle greatly diminished. Whatever, it's a personal choice as to what you want to do. Just keep in mind that for decades, very little was done in the way of cleaning brass (other than removing noticeable crud and addressing crusted primer pockets) ... even today, many only do a cursory inspection for obvious flaws, and then simply push their brass directly into the progressive loader and load away.

I had a Stainless Steel Tumbler that did an excellent job in cleaning brass. While it could process over a thousand pieces at a time, it required the same effort to process just a hundred or so. That is the reason I switched to U.S.

For reference purposes, my Harbor Freight model looks exactly like the Lyman in this link

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...sonic-case-cleaner-110-volt?cm_vc=subv1225214

However, using a 25% off coupon, I paid far less!

BTW: Note the common thread in responses: Ultrasonic will clean the brass probably much better and faster than a vibrator, but it will not be bright and shiny ... Although your firearm could care less, some people simply vibrate after Ultra-sonic ... with the vib cycle greatly diminished. Whatever, it's a personal choice as to what you want to do. Just keep in mind that for decades, very little was done in the way of cleaning brass (other than removing noticeable crud and addressing crusted primer pockets) ... even today, many only do a cursory inspection for obvious flaws, and then simply push their brass directly into the progressive loader and load away.

I had a Stainless Steel Tumbler that did an excellent job in cleaning brass. While it could process over a thousand pieces at a time, it required the same effort to process just a hundred or so. That is the reason I switched to U.S.

Thanks for the input! The main thing I will use it for is cleaning the baffles in my silencer.

Back
Top Bottom