Unicorns

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I latched my hands onto an 1885 in 45-70 this morning. I had to see what it will look like with the Unertl (vintage 1940) scope.
I've wanted one of theses for ages and with my upcoming visit to NRA Whittington Center I had to get one. Firing at their silhouette steel range will be a hoot. I need to find a smith to drill and tap the barrel so I can get the scope mounted. Any suggestions? I'm in Cumming.

Range report to follow. If I find 45-70 brass :mad:

i58.tinypic.com_2mpwors.jpg

i58.tinypic.com_2i7xtz4.jpg

i60.tinypic.com_2n9e0z8.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_51ves7.jpg

It's a reproduction of Browning/Winchester 1885 falling block high wall. Anybody suggest a gunsmith close to Cumming? Trouble is
it's a rush job ... I know most smiths are usually buried. But shouldnt be a big job drilling and tapping 4 holes.

Nice classic! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the range report. And just keep in mind, most people will make room for a rush job if the price is right. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to offer. Those are just my thoughts. Good luck getting the work done in time.

Hey bud gorgeous piece, I don't know how far away you are from hart co but it's the last exit on I-85 before you hit SC the gunsmith I use is here in hartwell he's very talented metal smith an if not mistaken 3rd gen gunsmith very reliable an fair, he is buried but I'm sure he'd be flattered an make an exception is a man was to ride from far away to get work done by him if your interested his name is Donnie Gettys, (706) 819-9399 call between 10am-6pm weekdays 11am-6pm sat tell him Brent told you about him

If you can't get it drilled how about a tang sight for it. That is what the buffalo hunters used for long distant shooting.

My Browning 1885 has the tang sight and I like it.

Most open sights wont work any longer with these old eyes. I can either focus on sights or the target but not both. I'm not sure about peep sights?

Back
Top Bottom