Vibra-tite

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
Somebody school me on this stuff. I was blissfully ignorant of such things until a small vial came with a optic mount on the directions said use it instead of loctite. So.....what does it do differently that makes it as good or more effective that trusty 242?

Somebody school me on this stuff. I was blissfully ignorant of such things until a small vial came with a optic mount on the directions said use it instead of loctite. So.....what does it do differently that makes it as good or more effective that trusty 242?

It doesn't completely harden like loctite does. Typically when people breakoff the heads of optic screws it's b/c of the torque required to break loctite free.

The only thing I use it for is slide ride pistol dots.

It doesn't completely harden like loctite does. Typically when people breakoff the heads of optic screws it's b/c of the torque required to break loctite free.

The only thing I use it for is slide ride pistol dots.

The mount came with the smallest hex key bolts I have seen in a long time. I can see how a bit would get broken with good loctite on those.

robchavous robchavous said it. It doesn’t harden, it turns into something like rubber. Like the name implies, it keeps parts from vibrating loose, but you shouldn’t have any issues removing it with simple hand tools, without resorting to heat, soaking, shock, etc.

I keep a jar on my bench. It’s the tits when installing AR receiver end plates that can’t be staked. This happens oftentimes because they’re made of aluminum or titanium, or they’re Cerakoted and the owner doesn’t want the finish marred. Some companies (looking at you Magpul) make theirs out of something that is known to crack at times when staking. Other companies (looking at you Griffin Armament) nitride theirs, which makes for an extremely hard surface that is difficult to stake, and can wreck a punch in short order.

I degrease the castle nut and receiver extension (buffer tube), put a little bit of Vibratite at 12 o’clock, and torque to 40ft/lbs. Never had one come loose, but they’re readily removable when needed.

It also needs cure time before you install the fastener per the instructions. You apply to your fastener and while it will be dry in a few minutes you are supposed to let cure for 30 minutes before installing.

Shake well before each use. Apply VC-3 a length of 1 to 1 ½ times the fastener diameter, filling threads 30-50%. Although material will be dry to touch within minutes, allow VC-3 to dry for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better), depending on part size. Fasteners are then ready for assembly or to be stored for later use.

Back
Top Bottom