• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vittles

gdog

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
54   0
Reaction score
Gas prices are going up, up, up. Dear Leader doesn't care, he is chasing the magic energy source that has not yet been developed. As gas rises, food costs will also rise. Start laying in some food. Pack some rice and beans in mylar bags and buckets. Go to Sam's and get some canned chicken, tuna, spices, things that will keep. Put your supplies in a good place for storage, preferably inside your living area where the temp will be steady. Get a water purification system, not just iodine tablets, but a Berkey or the like. Is the sky falling? Not just yet, but I see some cracks in it. Guns and ammo are a necessity, but you can't eat them so don't put all your eggs in that basket. Don't think you will use the guns to get what you need. That will work for a short while but sooner or later you will encounter somebody that was ready for you. I am not accusing anyone here of that, but in other survival forums that is always the plan somebody has.

Good points. I have also come across some forum entires about Silver. Some of the guys on those forums were saying that silver is pretty much a waste of money. You can use it as a barter currency-sure, but who are you going to barter with? In a true SHTF situation, people will be completely insane, and you won't be able to walk up to them a trade your silver for their food (if they are smart enough to have even stockpiled any.) The consensus seemed to be that you are much better off buying food, ammo, and other supplies than silver. I thought that was a good point.

And, here is my main fear: OIL. If we get supply disruption for any reason (EMP, solar flare, war in the mideast) The trucks will stop rolling to the stores, and 90% of the population has absolutely no plan for what happens when the stores get empty.

This can happen, and I am afraid that "our dear leader" would do just as poor a job at handling the situation as he has done handling the situations thus far. If that day comes, you had better be ready. Our society lives and breathes oil. If it is cut off, serious stuff will happen.

Last edited:
Good points. I have also come across some forum entires about Silver. Some of the guys on those forums were saying that silver is pretty much a waste of money. You can use it as a barter currency-sure, but who are you going to barter with? In a true SHTF situation, people will be completely insane, and you won't be able to walk up to them a trade your silver for their food (if they are smart enough to have even stockpiled any.) The consensus seemed to be that you are much better off buying food, ammo, and other supplies than silver. I thought that was a good point.

And, here is my main fear: OIL. If we get supply disruption for any reason (EMP, solar flare, war in the mideast) The trucks will stop rolling to the stores, and 90% of the population has absolutely no plan for what happens when the stores get empty.

This can happen, and I am afraid that "our dear leader" would do just as poor a job at handling the situation as he has done handling the situations thus far. If that day comes, you had better be ready. Our society lives and breathes oil. If it is cut off, serious stuff will happen.

It is all about allocation of resources. Will silver be of value to some yes but not everyone....so allocate a small some toward the purchase of silver and use the rest to purchase beans, bullets, and bandages and other barter worthy items.

Those of us with a few acres of land need to be doing some "tactical" gardening. Here in Georgia, at least South of Atlanta, we have such a long growing season that there is no reason for anyone with access to a few acres to go hungry. Most people, when you mention "garden," think about tomatoes. Tomatoes are fine, and make good sammiches, but things like peas, corn, and sweet potatoes fill bellies and provide protein. They can all be stored without refrigeration, too. I could live all winter on greens, sweet potatoes, cornbread, salt pork, and dry peas. In fact, that's about what my parents, and especially my grandparents, did. Don't forget to stock up on salt. That's one of the things Southerners ran out of during the Wah. There are very few natural salt deposits in the South. I'm already stockpiling coffee. I try to keep a six month supply on hand, and it's really going up right now. I have to go move my sprinkler.;)

Very good points about gardening. I am still trying to learn-and it ain't easy to keep up with. A lot of work, and a lot of work in the heat. Takes time,but I am learning .
-J

Back
Top Bottom