• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Walmart Pulling Ammo?

Walmart in St Marys has guns and ammo. In fact they just spent lots of dollars making new gun racks, ammo and knife
displays.

Anybody that says they have never ever ever bought any ammo from Walmart, or KMart, or Grant's ( back in the day), (Even if you bought ammo off here, it was more than likely from Walmart). I'll have to call bull on you. One thing I'm not and that's a liar and yes I've bought and shot plenty from Walmart, I don't reload, so if I can find it, I buy it.
I'll make it clear for and I don't have to be part of the gang that are critical to folks for buying from those folks. No different from buying from Academy. Ammo is ammo.

It would actually be great for everyone involved if Walmart didn't sell any guns or ammo at all.

From their perspective it's very expensive inventory that depends on a very fickle set of tastes.

Everyone has their favorite loads for ammo or favorite guns and even Walmart can't stock it all with limited shelf-space, so the only way to make up for lack of variety is to price everything low and make it up on volume.

But you also have the legal issues around sales of these items and the extra overhead of compliance. If you screw that up you can face severe fines and other expenses. That makes it not just a slow moving item but one that takes extra resources to even sell.

They would make a lot more by simply replacing that shelf space with something else that will sell more quickly and not require employee intervention for every sale.

But really the worst part of the 'price it low' strategy is that it steals customers from local gun stores.

Your LGS will always have higher prices, but will also be able to cater to gun owners needs better (in theory). A Walmart that sells guns and ammo puts all the LGS in the area at a huge disadvantage.

There's a reason that Walmart was always called a 'category killer'. They would expand into an area like large appliances or groceries and wipe out any smaller, local competition.

Same is true for LGS that have to compete with a Walmart. They just don't have that kind of economic clout and depend on some big selling items like common hunting ammo as their bread and butter, just to keep the doors open. And just the kind of items that Walmart tends to sell.

So no, it wouldn't bother me at all if Walmart pulled guns and ammo from every store. In fact that seems to be the way they are heading anyways, so they should just do it and be done with it.

It would actually be great for everyone involved if Walmart didn't sell any guns or ammo at all.

From their perspective it's very expensive inventory that depends on a very fickle set of tastes.

Everyone has their favorite loads for ammo or favorite guns and even Walmart can't stock it all with limited shelf-space, so the only way to make up for lack of variety is to price everything low and make it up on volume.

But you also have the legal issues around sales of these items and the extra overhead of compliance. If you screw that up you can face severe fines and other expenses. That makes it not just a slow moving item but one that takes extra resources to even sell.

They would make a lot more by simply replacing that shelf space with something else that will sell more quickly and not require employee intervention for every sale.

But really the worst part of the 'price it low' strategy is that it steals customers from local gun stores.

Your LGS will always have higher prices, but will also be able to cater to gun owners needs better (in theory). A Walmart that sells guns and ammo puts all the LGS in the area at a huge disadvantage.

There's a reason that Walmart was always called a 'category killer'. They would expand into an area like large appliances or groceries and wipe out any smaller, local competition.

Same is true for LGS that have to compete with a Walmart. They just don't have that kind of economic clout and depend on some big selling items like common hunting ammo as their bread and butter, just to keep the doors open. And just the kind of items that Walmart tends to sell.

So no, it wouldn't bother me at all if Walmart pulled guns and ammo from every store. In fact that seems to be the way they are heading anyways, so they should just do it and be done with it.

I’d say the internet is what hurts the LGS more than Walmart. Walmarts selection is extremely limited and lower end guns without much margin to start with. Ammo prices at Walmart aren’t much better these days that my lGS. But I’m finding 1000 rounds of 9mm fmj for $260 - $280 including shipping online where as the last few lgs I checked were $340 - $420 before tax. I always try to support and buy local - but I can’t just eat that extra cost on something I buy often.

I’d say the internet is what hurts the LGS more than Walmart. Walmarts selection is extremely limited and lower end guns without much margin to start with. Ammo prices at Walmart aren’t much better these days that my lGS. But I’m finding 1000 rounds of 9mm fmj for $260 - $280 including shipping online where as the last few lgs I checked were $340 - $420 before tax. I always try to support and buy local - but I can’t just eat that extra cost on something I buy often.
This is true. Regardless it pays to shop around, just because it’s Walmart now days, it don’t mean they’re the cheapest, even on groceries. It’s been that way as long even when I was a kid. My Mother and Grandma would make a list from 3 different Grocery stores with their sale ads and go to each for the sale items they needed. I mean since in the 1960’s folks. That has changed with today’s folks, especially with the ones that gets free EBT cards, they don’t care cause it’s not their hard earned money that they’re spending and you can like my answer or not. It’s truth.

Not sure if this is it but I was told before that if the Walmart is located near a school they were going to stop selling ammo at those locations.

Anyone else seeing this 👀? My Walmart at Johnson Ferry and Shallowford in East Cobb. Of course, I couldn't find an employee who knew anything.
I grew up right there and used to hangout in that Walmart parking lot with friends. The area sure has changed in the last 20 years, and I’m not surprised to see them pulling ammo from that store with the highfalutin crowd that has taken over.

Back
Top Bottom