• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Walther P99

Firewall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
I've actually owned the Walther P99 twice. The first was a AS model in .40 and the second/current one is also in .40 but instead as the QA trigger. I bought the first one new and traded for the second one through this forum. If memory serves, I only got rid of the first one because I started moving towards Sigs.

Features of the P99 include a light rail, ambidextrous magazine release, interchangeable back straps, and a chamber loaded indicator. The back of the striker is painted red and is visible through a hole in the rear of the slide when it is cocked. It comes with standard 3 dot sights. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and front sights of different heights come in the box. The .40 magazines hold 12 rounds.

In my opinion, this is one of the most ergonomic pistols available. In fact, while I'm sure this sounds a little silly to others, I first started looking at the P99 because I was impressed after holding an airsoft gun modeled after it. I believe this was one of the first pistols available with an interchangeable back strap which greatly improves the grip. The back strap is secured by a roll pin and there is no concern that it will come out at the wrong moment. Unlike the Walther PPS, the back strap on the P99 is for grip only - it does not decock the firearm or affect function in any way.

There are mainly 2 trigger options on the P99, the AS (Anti stress) and QA (Quick action). There is also a DAO but this version seems to be uncommon. I seem to be one of the rare people that actually like both versions.

The AS trigger functions similar to a DA/SA trigger similar to what is found on Sigs, Berettas and S&W autos but with a slight change. When decocked the first shot is a long heavier pull. After the first shot there are 2 options however. The user can allow the trigger to reset a short distance and have a short crisp trigger pull, or the trigger can be reset even further which creates sort of a staged trigger. This trigger pull is as long as the double action pull but has 2 distinct but light points of resistance, the first at the beginning and the second when the striker is released. Personally I never saw the point of this second option and always reset the trigger to double action mode using the slide mounted decocker. Many people strongly prefer the AS trigger to the QA trigger.

The QA trigger functions closer to the other popular striker fired pistols such as the Glock, M&P or XD. It is short and crisp but the actual weight of the trigger is heavier than the previously mentioned firearms. On the other hand, it does not have any trigger safety built into the trigger face. Every pull is exactly the same.

Where it differs from other guns is that the QA has a decocker. Walther includes this feature so that the trigger does not need to be pulled for disassembly. Since it isn't designed for every day use like on the AS model, the decocker button is less than half the size of the one found on the AS version (which is one way to tell the 2 versions apart in pictures). Unlike the AS model, when the QA is decocked it can not be fired again until the slide is retracted at least half an inch or so.

While I don't care about the decocker for field stripping (there is no substitute for checking the chamber when picking up a pistol) I love this feature for a different reason. The lack of a safety (or Glock/XD/M&P safety) doesn't bother me when a gun is either in my hand or in a holster on my body. However, I don't like it for storage purposes such as in the safe, on a shelf or in the glove compartment. One episode that really turned me on to this is when I had a Glock fall out of its holster under the seat of my car which left me blindly feeling around for a loaded gun. With the Walther I get the advantages of a consistent trigger pull but I can also deactivate it easily when needed. With my Glock/XD/M&P pistols I had to unload the gun to achieve this which caused issues with bullet setback, as well with keeping up with the +1 bullet while it was unloaded. I'm sure this seems like a minor issue to others but has greatly increased my appreciation of this pistol. I simply decock the gun when it goes in the safe and then retract the slide half an inch when I'm ready to use it again.

I'm not certain how Walther categorizes generations of this pistol but I'm aware of 3 functionally different versions. The original P99 has a proprietary light rail which can be distinguished by the lack of a cutout in the bottom of the rail. Later enhancements changed this to a more common rail system (along with a few other minor changes). The final change involved increases the length of the magazine release levers which made this function easier. My current P99 is of the second variety (regular light rail, short magazine levers) and my previous P99 was of the third type (regular rail, long levers). In my opinion the longer magazine levers are definitely a worth while feature if you have a choice. The longer levers are both easier to reach but also have more leverage making them easier to depress.

Accuracy from both of my P99's has been wonderful. Lock up is very tight and there is no play in the slide or barrel. Between the two guns I have approximately 2000 rounds through them (mostly through my old P99) and I have had no issues with either using FMJ or JHP ammo.

One tip I would pass along to the new P99 owner is to remove the roll pin of the back strap for your first trip to the range so you can easily swap between the small/medium/large versions. I suggest trying all three back straps for at least 1 magazine each even if you think you've found the right one already. With my first P99 I thought the gun felt the best with the smallest back strap in place, but when I tried then gun out at the range the medium back strap felt significantly better and even cut back on felt recoil.

Also, when shopping for magazines look for SW99 magazines. They are completely interchangeable but significantly cheaper. The only difference between the two is one was Walther and the other says Smith and Wesson.

Lastly only two complaints come to mind with this pistol and they are minor. With my first P99 the front sight snapped off in my holster, I'm not sure the reason but I've never had this issue with any other pistol. Also, for a gun that retails in the mid 600's the case feels very cheap.

lh5.ggpht.com__fBjBxGfbtGs_TLCLcKLEIeI_AAAAAAAADpg_M9xkm__ipQE_s800_IMGP1586.JPG

Very thorough and well written review Firewall, thank you. I read this review after having already purchased 5 Walthers over the years just to see what others are saying about my beloved P99 AS. Unlike you I don't have the QA version but have the standard size as well as the compact version, both chambered in .40 cal. (Side note, I've noticed that quite a few people on turned off by the .40 cal ammo with any pistol, any thought on this?). I don't know how many rounds I have gone through with each of the versions but have not had 1 malfunction. That being said, I do feel the standard sized version feels slightly better in my hand due to the butt of the compact version hitting the palm of my hand in a less than extremely comfortable position. Like you my shot groups are very tight with them both. I also have the PPX, PPS, and newest from Walther the CCP. I'm considering the PPQM1 (as opposed to the M2 due to the paddle release option as I prefer it over the button release). Unfortunately I don't know of any ranges that offer this model for a range gun to try before you buy. My biggest fear is that the trigger won't be as smooth as the P99 AS. Is the PPQ just as light of a pull or heavier like the QA? And frankly with just having twins last August my wife would not be pleased if I bought the gun only to find out it wasn't something I were overly thrilled with. I'd appreciate any insight you guys could offer that have fired them both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom