• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Walther PPQ

Axios!

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
83   0
Reaction score
I bought this one last Thursday and just wanted to write up a short blurb about it.

I've only put a 50rd box through it so far, because I haven't had the time for a proper range trip. That said, I'm so far highly impressed with the pistol. It is striker fired double stack 9mm (or .40S&W if you prefer the heavier caliber). It comes with box, lock, papers, shot target, fired case, 3 interchangeable backstraps, and two 15rd mags (9mm). It has adjustable sights, however they are plastic and will need to be replaced on a serious carry or home defense gun, you should have steel sights in my opinion.

It is a little different than your average American service pistol. It has the mag release paddle, like an HK. But, that said, the paddle is quite large and easy to manipulate. It takes a little time to get used to, but feels more intuitive than a button that you may have to shift your grip to reach. So far, I haven't had to shift my grip a bit to reach the mag release paddle with my right index finger. Just a quick sweep down and it jettisons the mag with vigor.

Pros:
Nice fit and finish
Short trigger with audible/tactile reset (best out of the box trigger of any new Poly-framed 9mm I've tried)
Simple and easy to disassemble
Lightweight for fullsize
Thin feel for a doublestack frame

Cons:
Plastic sights
New gun, so not much support gear to choose from

i66.photobucket.com_albums_h250_TheyHateMe_Guns_PPQ_2.jpg

I am very tempted to try one of these PPQs in 9mm. Several guys over at Pistol-Training are trying these out and coming back with rave reviews. I've seen pictures of the grip compare to a G19 & G17, and they are right in the middle of both of them. Seems it wouldn't be too hard to conceal one of these. The slide release and mag release look like the would be easy to access without having to shift my grip. Thanks for the write up Repeat. The other one that interest me is the new FNH FNS.

Very nice. I've been looking for one around Atlanta, some folks want $659 others want $529 lol. Of course the ones that want $529 only have it in .40 :(.

I am very tempted to try one of these PPQs in 9mm. Several guys over at Pistol-Training are trying these out and coming back with rave reviews. I've seen pictures of the grip compare to a G19 & G17, and they are right in the middle of both of them. Seems it wouldn't be too hard to conceal one of these. The slide release and mag release look like the would be easy to access without having to shift my grip. Thanks for the write up Repeat. The other one that interest me is the new FNH FNS.

No problem. You are correct on the mag and slide releases being easy to use. Just one thing, the slide release is long, in my opinion. So if you shoot thumbs forward, you're going to need to roll the right thumb out over the left a bit. Just insures that you won't accidentally engage the release. Or if you have the inclination, the slide release could be cut off short and reblued.

The grip size is very nice in my eyes, but I have a hard time comparing it to anything. It's very thin feeling for a doublestack weapon. The height is enough that there won't be any issues for those of us with average to large hands (no pinkie hanging off, etc). As far as concealment, it has worn well in its limited time with me, in a Remora #6 size. It's not overly thick by any means, in fact I think it's practically the same width as most other medium frame autos.

Oh and one last thing, I really am digging the slide serrations. They're well defined to make slide manipulations easy, but not sharp as to abrade or cut clothing/skin.

Very nice. I've been looking for one around Atlanta, some folks want $659 others want $529 lol. Of course the ones that want $529 only have it in .40 :(.

$659 is FAR TOO HIGH, but I know you know that. I feel like I overpaid for mine @ $549, but then this is my first NEW pistol in several years.

At 75yrs +, I've owned a lot of great hand guns in a lot of calibers from Colt-HK-Kimber-Sig-Browning-Glock and on down. THE BEST I've found is the Walther PPQ 2. I enjoy everything about it and have Zero (0) complaints. It has The Best Trigger I've used in the last 55 yrs. It is the most pleasant to shoot, most comfortable, reliable and the most accurate for me. I Did Not go wrong with my purchase!
Just shop those prices guys, IMO.

New Walther PPQ 2 / 9mm 4" 15+1 ... $544.49

Back
Top Bottom