want to get in the game

jamrens

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I have wanted to get into hand loading for a while.. Can someone give me a basic list of what i need.. i know that this has been covered a million times.. I have looked at the classic old skool with a hammer thing... I just want to reload 270 and 243...

WhIt

You can get one of the basic kits from Cablea's, Midway and so on. That will cover most of what you need, you can get more fancy later on.

To load those two cartridges the basics are press, scales, powder measure and dies, but you already knew that. You will be wanting to get a powder trickler, case length trimmer and a tumbler to clean your cases.

Some people use a hand priming tool, but most presses have that capability, they are just a little slower. Tumblers are your personal preference. There are the new ultrasonic cleaners which are quite expensive, or you can go with the tried and true vibratory tumbler.

Since you live in Rome, go up to C.W. Barretts one day and look around. I do believe he had it all in stock, he's only open 8-12 though.

go ahead and pick up a few reloading books and start reading. Lymans 49th is a good start. You can pick up a kit for a few hundred bucks. RCBS has a great starter kit and their Customer Service is top notch

If you think you might someday add pistol calibers to your reloading setup, start with this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-...eloading+kit&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

If you think you'll stick with just rifle, start with this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-...eloading+kit&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

The weak point in both of the above kits is the scale. It works fine, it's accurate, but a bit cheesy. However, you'll only be using it to calibrate your powder measure and occassionally spot check loads.

Add to the above:

- A die set for each of the two calibers
- A trimmer system or tool for trimming brass to length (Lee sells inexpensive per-cartridge trimmer sets, or you can buy a more deluxe, adjustable trimmer by RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc.)
- A 6" caliper for measuring cartridge length
- Brass sizing lube and applicator pad (there are also plenty of homemade choices for this; I use furniture wax)
- A reloading manual. Lyman, Lee, Hornady, etc.

Eventually, you might like a tumbler or other solution for cleaning your brass. Not terribly important when first starting out.

You'll need powders and primers. Primers, any brand is fine for most bolt action rifles. For powder, visit some of the powder manufacturer's web sites and find some powders that work in both 243 and 270. There will be plenty of powders with good loads for those two calibers. Pick one that works for both to get started.

And, of course, some bullets.

So, you want to get into reloading your own ammunition?

Before you do anything. Ask yourself if you are wiling to spend about $300 to buy the equipment.
Then pause and reflect on the fact that Reloading Ammo is like SCUBA Diving and Sky Diving: If you are properly trained,
and always, always follow the rules, then they are one of the safest and Most Dangerous Sports in the world.
Making a mistake can get you seriously injured or killed!

Then, before you buy any equipment, get yourself a couple of good reloading handbooks
and read them FIRST, and from the beginning. Lyman's 49 Edition is good as well as
Speer's.

Next, if you thoroughly understand what you read: Look on the Internet at the advice of those that have "been there, and done that".
Here's a good forum and a good article on what you will need to get.

If I had to start over again, I would start with a Lee Classic Turrent Press Kit. I would install it so that it would not be "progressive"
initially. But as I became proficient, I would be ready to move into "progressive" reloading with a press that still moves slow enough that
you can easily keep up with any problems that can and do happen.

Good Luck, and Stay Safe!

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=33

Expect to spend $300 to get started loading your first caliber with a Lee Challenger Breech Lock Kit and your choice of dies, sizing wax, case holders, case length gauge, case tumbler, media, powder, bullets and primers. A Lee Kit is about as inexpensive as you can go. Don't waste your time on the "Hammer" kit. It takes a lot of time and energy. Also seating a primed/powdered case with a hammer scares the crap out of me.

Expect to spend an additional $85 to $100 on each additional caliber. I load match grade quality .270 for less than $0.65 per round and they are some of the most accurate rifle rounds I have ever shot. If you want to, I can help you get started and even show you how to do it the first time. Just let me know.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=423081&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-423081

Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga is where I get most of my equipment/supplies from. They have everything on the shelf that you could possibly need and at good prices. David is an old codger who works there who knows everything about reloading. He has classes once a month for beginners but he normally does his beginner class using .45 Auto. Rifle reloading is more complex and involves case sizing and neck trimming. It is easy but just more involved than pistol rounds.

Even better than buying New, watch for Deals on Presses, Die sets etc. on the Trader here and other places. There is plenty of GOOD used equipment for sale at a Savings. It's rare that I buy anything but Primers and Powder and even then there are plenty of those that turn up for sale or trade.

Back
Top Bottom